VILLAGE OF ELK GROVE VILLAGE JOB POSTING
PUBLIC SERVICE OFFICER – POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Elk Grove Village Police Department has openings for Public Service Officers.
Under general supervision of the Sergeant, the Public Service Officer performs work of moderate difficulty on various police service functions such as: parking enforcement, identification of safety hazards, red light video violation review, ensure Village stickers compliance, coordinates Crossing Guard Program; directs vehicular and pedestrian traffic; assist with animal control duties, performs licensing officer duties and related work, as assigned.
The Police Department is dedicated to operating a professional law enforcement agency, sensitive to the needs of the people it serves.
The preferred candidate(s) must possess a positive, professional attitude and a passion for public service, as the Public Service Officer plays a vital supportive role for the Police Department.
- Provides an exceptional level of customer service in order to promote and maintain a positive Village working environment;
- Determines the severity of a non-emergency phone calls for service and accurately directs an inquiry to the proper staff representative, greets visitors in a professional manner;
- Handles radio communications; simultaneously listens and deciphers sometimes distressed or confused verbal communications on the telephone, over the radio, and in person; gathers the necessary information to transmit/ relay and prioritize calls based on established guidelines;
- Monitors individuals in holding cells, front lobby and other secure locations on closed circuit T.V. for proper conduct, safety, medical or other needs;
- Performs departmental data entry and statistical reports; enters traffic accident reports; submits data for Officers Directed Enforcement action.
- Accurately record information from the public concerning property damage incidents, minor thefts and motor vehicle accidents; perform simple investigations as directed by Police Department supervisory personnel.
- Coordinate the removal of abandoned and other vehicles with the Village's towing contractor.
- Maintain accurate records concerning court dockets and schedule or notify police officers for court appearances.
- Appear in court as a representative of the Police Department.
- Enforce parking and local ordinance violations.
- Assist in handling reported stray animals and animal bites.
- Provide front desk reception and customer service duties.
- Completion of 30 credit hours of college course work required, completion of 60 credit hours or Associate's Degree preferred, from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of experience required in a position dealing with the public in a service position.
- A former sworn police officer is preferred as this position may review Red Light camera violations.
- This position is required to become LEADS certified within 30 days of hire.
- Applicants must have a valid Illinois Driver's License and a safe driving record.
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week
May 6, 2021
June 1, 2021
Candidates must visit:
Go to Open Jobs on top of the home page, select the Public Service Officer position, and complete an employment application by 5:00 PM on June 1, 2021. Attach your resume and references, as indicated.
All other inquiries should be directed to:
Office of Human Resources
901 Wellington Avenue
Elk Grove Village, Illinois 60007