Sugar Grove Police Department
Lateral Entry Police Officer
The Village of Sugar Grove Police Department is currently accepting lateral entry applications for the position of Police Officer. The successful applicant will perform the duties of a Law Enforcement Officer.
The Village of Sugar Grove is a community of middle and upper-middle class residences covering approximately nine square miles with a 2010 census population of 8,997 residents. The Village is located 50 miles southwest of Chicago, in Southern Kane County and a short distance from the City of Aurora and the City of Naperville, the two largest municipalities in the metropolitan area outside the City of Chicago.
The Police Department is comprised of 18 sworn police officers and three part time civilian clerical staff.
Lateral Entry Applications for Police Officer must be received by:
October 15, 2021 at 4:00 PM
- Must currently serve as or have served recently as a full time police officer for a public law enforcement agency in a comparable position to that being applied for.
- Must have two years of experience as a full time law enforcement officer with an Illinois police department within the last three years.
- Applicant must have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy. Proof of certification is required with application and will be subject to final approval and waiver by ILETSB. (Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer does not meet this requirement.)
- Must be a citizen of the United States and at least 23 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent education
- Must possess a valid Illinois Driver's License
- Must possess a power test card dated since August 1st, 2021. Copy to be submitted with application. Acceptable Power test cards:
Each phase of the process, although not in the following order is pass/fail and required to proceed to the next:
- Pre-screening interview by police department command staff
- Character and background investigation and credit check
- Interview with the Police Commission
- Polygraph examination
- Post offer examinations including but are not limited to psychological evaluation; medical examination; vision screening and drug screening.
- All appointments are subject to a probationary period
Lateral Entry Eligibility:
- An initial lateral entry eligibility list will be created from qualified applicants that submit the required application material by the application deadline of 4:00 PM, October 15, 2021.
- Placement on any lateral entry eligibility list shall be based upon the relative excellence of the applicants.
- In the event that prescreening identifies applicants who have certain knowledge, skills, and abilities that make those applicants more desirable for the position sought to be filled, the Police Commission may interview those applicants only for consideration.
Lateral Entry Candidates may pick up an application at:
Sugar Grove Police Department
Download from our Village website:
Once hired, the applicant will be required to successfully complete a field training program and 18 month probationary period.
Questions pertaining to this employment can be directed to:
Administrative Officer Roy Hanold
The Village of Sugar Grove is an equal opportunity employer.