The Village of Buffalo Grove is seeking a part-time desk officer for two days (Fri, Sat)/sixteen hours per week on the night shift, 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM.
This position is located at the front desk/reception area at the Police Department under the general supervision of the Police Sergeant.
The part-time desk officer is responsible for a variety of clerical duties, communications, and public contact.
Work includes, but is not limited to:
- Operation of telephone, radio, and computer terminal equipment for the receipt and transmission of non-emergency and emergency information.
- Initially, work is closely supervised; however, once typical procedures are learned incumbents are expected to complete normal tasks with limited supervision.
- Involves considerable public contact often under challenging circumstances.
- Recurring work assignments are performed with considerable independence and much of the work is self-initiated.
- Work is performed under the general supervision of the Police Sergeant, who reviews work through observation and review of records for results obtained.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required.
The part-time desk officer should have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of the street system and geography of the Village and adjacent areas.
- Knowledge of the principles involved in the operation of radio, telephone and related communications equipment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on departmental needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain required records, prepare reports and perform limited typewriting.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to operate radio and telephone equipment quickly and accurately under heavy load conditions.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely in a well-modulated voice and to use good diction.
- Ability to think and act quickly, calmly and accurately in emergency situations.
- Follows safety policies and procedures. Reports all unsafe conditions and acts to supervisor. Reports all accidents to supervisor immediately. Follows recognized safe work practices.
Qualified candidates should:
Have a high school diploma or GED; or any equivalent combination of training and experience
Interested candidates should apply online at:
In addition to completing the online application, candidates must attach a resume and cover letter to the application. Emailed, faxed, mailed or hand delivered applications and resumes will not be accepted.
Initial review of applications expected to occur during the week of October 15, 2021.
Any questions related to this position should be directed to:
Deputy Police Chief Michael Szos
The Village of Buffalo Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer.