City of Blue Island
The Civil Service Commission in the City of Blue Island, IL will conduct an examination for the purpose of providing an eligibility list of persons qualified to be appointed to the position of Firefighter/EMT.
- You must have passed your 21st birthday but not attained your 35th birthday by the date of the examination unless you otherwise qualify as more specifically provided in Section 10-1-1.1 of the Illinois Municipal Code (65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- You must possess a valid driver’s license in good standing.
- You must possess a high school diploma or equivalent GED.
- You must have a current certification of EMT-Basic and a current Firefighter II or Basic Firefighter Certification from the Illinois State Fire Marshal Division of Personnel Standards and Education.
- You must have a current valid CPAT Certification, issued no more than twelve (12) months prior to June 28, 2019, for the applied position of Firefighter/EMT from a duly licensed training academy based on industry standards currently in use and approved by the Joint Labor Management Committee of the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
- Applicants must meet all other eligibility requirements as provided in the Illinois Compiled Statutes and the Rules and Regulations of the Blue Island Civil Service Commission.
The testing procedure includes a mandatory orientation, written component, subjective component, psychological examination, polygraph examination, medical examination, drug screen, background examination and fingerprinting.
The mandatory orientation will take place:
Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 8:30 AM
The written component taking place at 9:00 AM on the same day at:
Eisenhower High School
12700 S. Sacramento
Blue Island, Illinois
The written examination component will precede all other examination components. You must attain a score on the written test at or above seventy (70%) percent in order to qualify to take the remaining examination components. All components of the testing process will be conducted on dates and times to be determined after a preliminary eligibility register has been posted for those applicants who have passed the written examination with a score at or above seventy (70%) percent.
Applications will be available online from May 13, 2019 at:
Applications must be returned with copies of all required documents to the City of Blue Island Police Department 13031 S. Greenwood by 5:00 pm on June 28, 2019.
There will be a $35.00 administrative processing fee.
You must include with your application copies of your driver’s license, birth certificate, high school diploma or equivalent, your DD-214 if you served in the military. A current valid CPAT, current valid EMT basic, and current valid Firefighter II or Basic Firefighter Certification.
Applications submitted after 5:00 pm, June 28th or incomplete will not be accepted.
Due to an anticipated volume of interested applicants, we will be unable to address inquiries concerning this employment opportunity prior to the scheduled orientation. No phone calls or emails please.
The City of Blue Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This notice is issued by order of the Blue Island Civil Service Commission.