The Village of Libertyville is seeking a qualified individual to fill the Full-Time vacancy in its Police Department.
Community Service Officers (CSOs) provide a wide variety of field and administrative support to law enforcement staff and the public. The position involves a significant amount of public contact, with high levels of customer service being a priority. CSOs conduct parking enforcement; handle animal, non-criminal, and private property accident complaints; provide vehicle and pedestrian traffic control; and various other administrative duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
- Deals with visitors and callers who may have significant problems or require specialized services or in situations where relations are often confrontational or strained.
- Determines the nature of the visit or the problem and explains detailed policies, procedures and regulations; disseminates, provides factual information regarding the functions, activities, policies and procedures of the Police Department.
- Performs a variety of basic office support duties such as collating materials, distributing incoming mail, preparing materials for mailing, completing forms, proofreading typed or printed materials, and/or typing correspondence reports and other materials.
- Enforces parking ordinances and tickets violators.
- Assists with traffic control situations as required.
- Performs animal control duties; supplies traps to residents; completes reports and/or violation notices.
- Provides vehicle accident reporting/investigations; assists citizens as required.
- Responds to and investigates non-criminal complaints and nuisance calls.
- Transports vehicles to and from locations as required; performs vehicle inspections; replaces and replenishes necessary equipment as needed.
- Conducts tours of facilities; assists with special events as required.
- Uses a computer and specialized software to enter and verify information.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
- May provide relief and assistance to other office support assignments.
- Uses standard office equipment, including a computer, in the course of the work; drives a Village motor vehicle to various work or incident sites.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as directed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma/GED; AND two (2) years of customer service experience; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Policies and procedures related to Police Department operations.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Village ordinances, laws and regulations.
- Layout and geography of the Village.
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Computer applications related to the work.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals, at all levels of responsibility, in person and over the telephone, often where relations may be confrontational or strained.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Determining the nature of a call or visit and recommending appropriate actions or solutions.
- Working with minimal supervision in standard work situations.
- Safe operation of a motor vehicle.
- Interpreting, applying and explaining applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Maintaining accurate records and preparing accurate and timely reports.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Using independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Dealing politely and effectively with staff and the public in a variety of situations.
- Speaking English effectively to communicate in person or over the telephone.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone, often where relations may be confrontational or strained.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
- Illinois Driver’s license
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a typical office setting, use standard office equipment, and to drive a motor vehicle to visit work sites and incidents; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Strength and agility to sit, stand and/or walk for extended periods of time; occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Work is performed in an office setting and occasionally in a field setting. While in the field, incumbent will be exposed to extreme weather conditions, traffic conditions, fumes, gases, bodily fluids, and noise.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and completed Village of Libertyville employment application to Eileen O'Donnell:
The application can be found on the Village of Libertyville website:
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Hard copies (faxed, mailed or hand-delivered) of applications and resumes will be declined.
Resume review will begin immediately. Open until filled.
The hiring process may include:
- At least one interview
- An extensive background investigation
- Fingerprint check
- Upon a conditional offer of employment a polygraph, psychological and medical examination
The Village of Libertyville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.