Entry-Level Police Officer Hiring Process
Lombard Police Department
The Board of Police and Fire Commissioners of the Village of Lombard, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Lombard Police Department.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Lombard:
- U.S. citizenship;
- Resident of the State of Illinois;
- No felony convictions (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration);
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Possess 20/20 corrected vision;
- Minimum of 21 years of age by the application deadline date (January 17, 2022);
- Be UNDER 35 years of age on the date of appointment, unless the candidate is currently employed as a police officer in a regularly constituted police department of any municipality which extends the age to 40 years of age;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Completed a minimum of 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college (official transcripts will be required at the background investigation stage) -OR- have one year of active military or naval service (documented by an honorable discharge) -OR- currently a certified police officer in the State of Illinois by the application deadline date (January 17, 2022);
- Current Illinois certified police officers with a minimum of two years of service are eligible to be placed on a lateral eligibility list. Please note all lateral candidates must fulfill all other minimum testing requirements (POWER Test card and written exam)
- Possess a valid NIPSTA card – OR - equivalent criteria as per the State standard to be presented by time of conditional offer and issued within the last 12 months;
- POWER Test Cards issued by Triton College or Joliet Junior College will be accepted
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
A maximum of (5) preference points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Lombard for any one the following:
- Education: Persons who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of law enforcement or criminal justice -OR- a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Copy of unofficial transcripts must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Experience: Persons who have been awarded a certificate of successful completion of the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (Certified Illinois Police Officer). Copy of state-issued certification must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged, -OR- who are now, or may hereafter be on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service. A copy of Form DD-214 or equivalent proof of current military service must be submitted with application to qualify.
Mandatory Remote On-Line Written Examination:
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing:
Starting at 9:00 AM
Tuesday, February 1, 2022 through Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 4:00 PM
The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
The Village of Lombard is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the continuing policy of the Lombard Police Department to afford equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability, and to conform to applicable laws and regulations. Equal opportunity encompasses all aspects of employment practices to include, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, and discipline.