VILLAGE OF OAK LAWN, ILLINOIS
The Board of Fire & Police Commissioners is currently seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Firefighter/Paramedic without regard to gender, race, color, or ethnic origin.
Firefighter candidates will be required to successfully complete a written examination and an oral interview in order to be placed on the eligibility list.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
- AGE: At least twenty-one (21) years of age by the date of the written exam and under thirty-five (35) years of age, as of the closing date of the application filing period. Proof of age will be required at time of application.
- HEALTH: Physically and psychologically qualified to sustain the labors and exposures of a Firefighter/Paramedic.
- VISION: Minimum of 20/70 uncorrected vision, corrected to 20/20 in each eye, with normal color and depth perception.
- CHARACTER: No felony convictions; good moral character. Candidates must also successfully pass a background examination as a condition for being hired.
- RESIDENCY: Legal eligibility to work in the United States. Oak Lawn residency is not required. New hires are required to establish residence in the State of Illinois and within fifty (50) miles of Village Hall (9446 S. Raymond Ave.) not later than six months after the completion of the probationary year.
- Successfully completed at least 60 semester (or 90 quarter) hours of credit from a regionally accredited college or university as of the date of filing the application for employment. AND
- Must possess and maintain a valid CPAT “Candidate Physical Ability Test” Card that was issued within 12 months of the candidates assigned written test date which is tentatively scheduled for the third week in March. AND
- Possess an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic “EMT-P” license from the State of Illinois as of the date of the applicant’s assigned written test date which is tentatively scheduled for the third week in March. Applicants must maintain their annual EMT-P continuing education prior to employment. AND
- Possess an OSFM Firefighter II Certificate or Basic Operations Firefighter Certificate.
- LANGUAGE: Speak, read, and write the English language.
- DRIVER QUALIFICATIONS: Possess a valid driver's license from applicant's state of residency.
- FEE: A $25.00 non-refundable test fee will be payable at time of written exam.
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT OBTAINING AN APPLICATION:
Applicants to be notified by e-mail of date, time, and location of all exams. Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must pass a pre-employment background check, medical, and psychological exam.
Pick up applications on lower level of:
9446 S. Raymond Avenue
Oak Lawn, IL
Monday through Friday
8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
The Municipal Center will be closed on December 31st and January 3rd for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day and Monday, January 17, 2022 for Martin Luther King Day.
Completed applications must be returned to the Commission office no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 4, 2022.
For additional information please e-mail Karen Borgman at:
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD OF FIRE & POLICE COMMISSIONERS
VILLAGE OF OAK LAWN
Equal Opportunity Employer