The E-COM 9-1-1 Dispatch Center is a consolidated emergency communications center serving the City of Country Club Hills, and Villages of East Hazel Crest, Flossmoor, Glenwood, Hazel Crest, Homewood, Riverdale, South Holland, and Thornton.
Applications available at:
Applications and resumes shall be submitted to:
Applications and resumes will be accepted until January 14, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
The challenges, issues, and responsibilities facing E-COM require committed, professional leadership. The ideal candidate will have a combination of leadership and management experience, an understanding of police and fire operations, and knowledge of information systems technologies. Responsible for coordinating, directing, evaluating, and supervising the work of the emergency communications center's employees engaged in public safety dispatching, call-taking and alarm board monitoring. The Deputy Director is an executive management level employee who must be able to accommodate the scheduling demands of leading and managing in a 24/7 environment, including responding to E-COM during emergencies. The Deputy Director must be available on an emergency basis 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, unless on pre-approved time off. During an emergency, may be required to work 24-hour operations. Shares on-call responsibilities with the Operations Manager and may be required to work weekends. Works independently and without the need for day-to-day supervision. Attends and actively participates in meetings and assigned training programs. Manages employees within a collective bargaining environment. The EMD Coordinator, QA/QI Coordinator and Operations Manager report to the Deputy Director. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. The Deputy Director regularly works in an office environment, while performing the duties of this position.
- Must be of strong moral and ethical character.
- Establishes an environment in which integrity and ethics are the norm.
- Is consistently impartial, open, and straightforward.
- Treats others with fairness, honesty, and respect.
- Is diplomatic and tactful.
- Conforms to and enforces E-COM's policies, procedures and written directives.
- Excludes personal biases from work performance.
- Displays acceptable social and work behaviors.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality with observed, verbal and written information.
- Accepts responsibility for one's actions and decisions.
Problem Solving/Decision Making:
- Possesses strong analytical skills and is able to resolve technical issues and problems that may arise.
- Astutely assesses problems and situations, while anticipating operational needs and evaluating operational alternatives.
- Work requires quick, independent actions and alertness in emergency and possible life-threatening situations.
- Handles emergency and stressful situations, avoiding overreaction or minimization.
- Maintains flexibility in adjusting to situations, while supporting and carrying out directives.
- Obtains and verifies information in a logical, organized manner, consistent with standard operating procedures.
- Adjusts effectively and quickly to changing conditions and demands.
- Recognizes and conveys change as a necessary and inevitable aspect of organizational life, as well as an opportunity to learn new things.
- Has a similar view and approach to potentially stressful situations.
- Invests personal energy toward accepting and adapting to change.
- Exercises good judgement in disseminating and processing information and making decisions.
- Acts decisively, using sound reasoning and common sense.
- Public safety communications experience within a multi-agency communications center.
- At least seven (7) years' experience in 9-1-1 public safety communications.
- At least five (5) years in a leadership or management position in public safety communications.
- Knowledge of public safety communications systems including – CAD, digital logging recorders, 9-1-1 and radios.
- Bachelor's degree in public safety, management, or related fields.
- Professional certifications to include – CMCP (NENA), CPE (APCO), ENP (NENA), RPL (APCO), EMD (APCO).
- Experience in creating written policies/procedures, curriculum development, and training personnel.
- Experience in administering or making recommendations for routine personnel matters including – recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, work assignments, scheduling work hours, granting leave, appraising performance, monitoring absenteeism, disciplining, and submitting such reports.
- Knowledge of police and fire operations.
- Possesses and exemplifies high moral standards and personal ethics with a background and reputation for complete integrity.
- Possesses a sense of humor and the ability to maintain and promote positive interpersonal relationships.
- Possesses a style based on confidence and competence that will quickly earn credibility, respect, and trust.
- Skilled at interacting with police and fire personnel, while working to improve the center's operations.
- Skilled at effectively interacting with fire and police chiefs; able to differentiate between the needs of the fire and police departments and facilitates cooperation between the two disciplines.
Leadership, Management, and Supervision:
- Supports the Executive Director in the activities of the 9-1-1 operations and administrative staff.
- Ensures the proper implementation, operation, maintenance, procurement, project management, and training for all E-COM systems.
- Manages personnel, facilities, radio, computer information systems, and related technologies.
- Maintains E-COM's operational efficiency by evaluating the services provided, performance metrics, and statistical reporting; including help tickets, workload analysis and job costing.
- Participates in and/or runs E-COM's committee meetings, ensuring proper compliance with the Open Meetings Act.
- Serves as a primary contact/liaison between E-COM's member agencies and the general public on emergency communications center matters.
- Supports the Executive Director in creating, maintaining, and modifying E-COM's written directives.
- As part of E-COM's Executive Leadership Team, helps to achieve our mission, goals, and objectives.
- In the absence of the Executive Director, acts as the Executive Director.
- May represent E-COM at public meetings, give presentations, and with other 9-1-1 agencies.
- Coordinates and oversees the daily operations of E-COM.
- Ensures that the basics of E-COM's operation and technologies work appropriately.
- Continuously works to improve E-COM's procedures and the quality of our operations.
- Assists with the professional development of E-COM staff; seeks improved training resources and helps staff develop their career paths.
- Maintains awareness of all center activities.
- Establishes effective control and follow-up mechanisms to ensure staff's adherence to policies and directives.
- Provides a consistent physical presence in the center.
- Ensures emergency and non-emergency police, fire and medical calls are appropriately and effectively processed.
- Ensures minimum coverage levels are maintained and authorizes coverage deviations where necessary and appropriate.
- Assists the Executive Director in the planning and implementation of both the operational and capital budgets.
- Oversees the quality assurance program, staff training activities, the scheduling of staff members, including requests for time-off, overtime coverage and duty trades.
- Prepares and completes subordinates' performance appraisals. Evaluates on the basis of fair and realistic expectations regarding the results expected and competencies demonstrated.
- Recognizes the outstanding performance of individuals and those which indicate the need for goal setting, training, counseling, or discipline. Provides direction and guidance that is constructive, effective, helpful, and ongoing. Documents performance errors and prepares improvement plans as needed.
- Investigates complaints and/or policy violations, and does so in a manner that is thorough and objective. Disciplinary actions taken are well documented and appropriate.
- Meets with the Executive Leadership Team regularly.
- Assists in the hiring process for new staff members.
- Performs record keeping functions, including preparing and maintaining sensitive or confidential information. Maintains records of communications, keeps logs of daily events and processes daily reports. Completes and reviews entries, logs, payroll, reports, and other records completed by subordinates to ensure accurate record keeping.
- Acts as E-COM's FOI officer.
- Possibly serves as a member of the Unified Command in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Acts as the agency's safety officer to ensure compliance with all applicable safety laws and standards.
- Ensures compliance with the FCC, ICC, and other regulatory agencies.
- Acts as a liaison with contractors and vendors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Verbal and Written Communication:
- Communicates effectively, verbally, in writing, and via various forms of electronic media, with all levels of leadership, administrative and line level staff.
- Communicates clearly, courteously, regularly and professionally. Verbal instructions given are direct and explicit.
- Demonstrates the ability to recognize and remember important details in verbal communications.
- Uses an appropriate tone/manner of speech in verbal communications.
- Demonstrates the ability to ask questions and probe in order to obtain useful and accurate information from others.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Maintains verbal professionalism and composure, even when dealing with irate, abusive or uncooperative individuals.
- Demonstrates the ability to verbally state and explain policies, procedures and programs in such a way as to enlist support and compliance by subordinates and others. Technical concepts are presented verbally in an easy-to-understand format.
- Demonstrates effective listening skills. Actively listens to others to gain an understanding of their needs and situations.
- Keeps the Executive Director informed of problems, actions and decisions in a positive and constructive manner.
- Exercises patience, restraint and courtesy in all circumstances.
- Develops and maintains an environment which promotes communication between all parties.
- Communications are regular and timely.
- Factual information is communicated objectively, without interjecting personal opinions or biases.
- Provides for timely sharing of information to allow subordinates to complete work in an efficient manner and to be aware of activities which affect their area of responsibility.
- Written communications relating to shift activities, operational issues, personnel matters and/or special assignments are concise, grammatically correct, neat, and well organized.
Dependability and Reliability:
- Maintains a regular, full-time work schedule that spans all shifts and all days in agreement with the Executive Director.
- Arrives to work on time.
- Manages work independently.
- Devotes work time to E-COM activities.
- Displays responsible behaviors at work and is dependable.
- Behaves consistently, predictably, and reliably.
- Willingly supports and carries out directives.
- Takes responsibility for accomplishing work goals within accepted timeframes.
- Completes assignments, fulfills obligations, and meets deadlines.
- Follows through until a situation is resolved.
- Completes a daily task list.
- Ensures work area is neat and arranged in an efficient manner.
- Follows break and meal period policies and time limits.
- A self-starter, comfortable working with limited direction and with wide latitude, while keeping staff appropriately informed of plans, actions, and programs.
- Is driven, resourceful and self-reliant.
- Takes initiative in seeking out new responsibilities and work challenges.
- Pursues work with energy, drive, and effort to accomplish tasks.
- Persists at a task despite interruptions, obstacles, setbacks, or shift priorities.
- Establishes and maintains personally challenging, but realistic work goals.
- Strives to exceed expectations and standards.
- Works well independently without needing to be constantly reassured.
- Generates new ideas.
- Uses originality to meet both routine and unusual situations.
- Takes a proactive approach to building job knowledge.
- Contributes useful ideas to improve E-COM's operations.
- Complies with E-COM's rules, regulations, policies, procedures and written directives.
- Quickly understands problems and focuses on the core issues.
- Skillful in analyzing facts, conditions, and policies in reaching sound conclusions.
- Uses impartial judgment and common sense in making decisions.
- Recognizes the complexity and consequences of his/her actions in regard to performance and assignments.
- Ability to think and act calmly, logically, consistently and rapidly, using available resources in an effort to make the correct choice. Recommends a corrective course of action.
- Consistently makes sound decisions in difficult situations.
- Alert to the detection and correction of deficiencies and/or problems.
- Demonstrates the ability to anticipate the consequences of various courses of action, evaluates alternatives, then amends or modifies decisions and plans when presented with changing circumstances or new information.
- Demonstrates the ability to draw appropriate inferences and sound conclusions from observations or verbal and written information.
- Demonstrates the ability to integrate information from different sources to develop an accurate understanding of events that have occurred or are in progress and to effectively apply that understanding to determine an appropriate course of action.
- Manages each stage of a project to ensure that commitments are met in a manner that is timely and within the budget.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities, determines necessary resources, and monitors project performance through appropriate systems and procedures.
- Keeps the Executive Director informed of the progress and obstacles related to the ongoing tasks or projects. Uses written or verbal status reports to ensure the Executive Director is up-to-date and will not be surprised by the status of key activities, proposed expenses or end results. Submits appropriate plans and timelines for projects.
- Understands the duties and responsibilities for successful project completion.
- Appropriately prioritizes and schedules work assignments to meet deadlines and goals, utilizes time productively.
- Completes projects in a timely manner.
- Uses creative ideas and solutions in completing projects.
- Stays within the budget.
- Consistently identifies and eliminates non-important activities.
- An effective representative and advocate for E-COM with all constituencies and contacts, and interacts effectively with persons in positions of influence and authority, having no reluctance to initiate contact with such persons.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills to include counseling, public speaking, and presentations.
- Ability to lead committee sessions and work cooperatively with E-COM's committees.
- Ability to facilitate discussions at meetings, making an effort to ensure that all of the views are heard, having an inclusive and participatory style.
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous and cooperative attitude toward E-COM's member agencies, our staff, and the public.
- Represents E-COM to other agencies and citizens with a courteous, helpful, honest and professional attitude through all computer, personal, radio, and telephone contacts.
- A desire to provide quality customer service.
- Motivates staff members to work together productively towards meeting goals and objectives.
- Desires cooperative and functional working relationships.
- Promotes teamwork, fosters a positive attitude and leads by example.
- Demonstrates and exercises courtesy, patience, and restraint.
- Exhibits maturity in relationships with others and is self-confident.
- Develops and maintains a working environment, which promotes communication between all parties.
- Establishes and maintains cohesive, effective relationships with management, peers and subordinates.
- Open to criticism, feedback and suggestions from others.
- Does not cause friction and disharmony within the work group through harmful gossip. Actively engages subordinates to minimize discord, friction and gossip.
Critical Analytical Thinking:
- Demonstrates strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills.
- Uses inductive and deductive reasoning to analyze, compare, interpret, and synthesize information. Draws conclusions from relevant and/or missing information.
- Understands complex concepts, information and instructions, including organizational rules, policies, procedures and other written directives.
- Understands the principles underlying the relationship among facts and applies this understanding when solving problems.
- Identifies connections between issues.
- Quickly learns, orients to, and understands new assignments.
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, approaches to problems, and conclusions.
- Organizes problems into manageable parts.
- Uses creative and logical thought processes to develop solutions in procedural and technical areas according to verbal instructions and/or written specifications.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the proper use of the following communications equipment and systems in accordance with the established standards, including - Eventide MediaWorks digital logging recorder system, Motorola CallWorks telephone system, Motorola MCC 7500 dispatch console and Motorola Spillman Flex CAD system.
- Understands the purpose and functions of the equipment and each system.
- Demonstrates the ability to properly access and use the systems to process the calls for service and obtain data.
- Can expeditiously maneuver through the systems, updating information as it is received and retrieving the required information.
- Can identify and troubleshoot all of the equipment that supports E-COM's operations.
- Keeps current on emerging public safety communication's technologies.
Basic Computer Skills:
- Uses a computer and related applications to input and retrieve information.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
- Accesses, switches and navigates between various applications (Internet, email, etc.) and files of interest.
- Demonstrates familiarity with the fundamental capabilities of computers, information communication systems and software.
- Understands the functions and terminology of common computer, software, information and communication technology components, concepts, and devices.
Call-Taking and Dispatching Proficiency:
- Maintains the ability to perform all the duties of the Operations Manager, Communications Supervisors and telecommunicators.
- Maintains the required certifications and licensures.