The Village of Coal City, Illinois Fire & Police Commission is accepting resumes for the position of lateral police officer with the Coal City Police Department.
At the Coal City Police Department a Police Officer engages in the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and ordinances and the prevention of crime. The Officer performs varied assignments in motorized patrol, traffic control, crime scene and accident investigations, community policing and public safety education. An Officer must recognize the social aspects of law enforcement functions in dealing with the public and be able to act quickly without immediate supervision and exercise sound judgment and discretion in situations involving law enforcement powers.
- Patrols the Village of Coal City on foot or in a patrol car; controls and regulates traffic; issues traffic warnings and or citations; investigates traffic accidents and ascertains appropriate charges.
- Responds to calls and complaints involving missing persons, homicide, rape, robbery, burglary, larceny and any other emergencies or disturbances (e.g., fires, riots, etc.) requiring police intervention.
- Conducts investigations at the scene of a crime; interviews victims and witnesses; interrogates suspects; searches, gathers, preserves and correlates evidence; and makes arrests if warranted.
- Checks doors and windows of places of business and of homes temporarily vacant and makes routine checks of establishments where alcohol is served.
- Prepares objective and comprehensive reports regarding complaints, accidents, and other incidents being investigated and maintains necessary records for future law enforcement review.
- Testifies in court concerning case facts, conditions, and observances.
- Works shifts as assigned which includes working nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Maintains effective relations with the public and handles situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, impartially and with respect for the rights of others.
The above list of essential functions is not meant to be all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Coal City, Illinois Fire & Police Commissioners:
- U.S. citizenship
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Minimum of 21 years of age at the time of application
- Must be UNDER 35 years of age at the time of application and at the time the initial eligibility list is posted, unless otherwise exempt by State Statute 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6
- Must have obtained a high school diploma or high school equivalency/G.E.D.
- No felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude, as specified in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6
- Successfully completed Illinois Basic Police Officer Training, or successfully completed Basic Police Officer Training Program which can be transferred and accepted by the Illinois State Training Board
- Must pass background investigation, oral, psychological, polygraph, and medical examinations
- Applicants must live within 20 miles of the Coal City, IL Police Department to the city limit of residing town or be willing to relocate within 1 year
Submit all documents through email by:
The following documents MUST be included with your resume:
- Cover letter
- Copy of your Birth certificate
- Copy of your valid driver's license
- Copy of your high school diploma or high school equivalency/GED
- Copy of your U.S. Military DD-214 form, if applicable
- Copy of your certificate of completion of Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy training
- Copy of your Undergraduate and/or Graduate Diplomas
- Copies of Training Certificates
- Copy of Professional Licenses
- And any other documents confirming work experience
Please list the names of three (3) persons not related to you by blood or marriage. To include their full name, years known, occupation, address and phone number.
List names of three (3) professional references who have known you well for at least five (5) years and who are not related to you by blood or marriage. To include their full name, years known, occupation, address and phone number.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please email Commissioner Michael Lareau at:
The Village of Coal City is an Equal Opportunity Employer