The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of Markham is now accepting applications for the position of: Police Officer
Certified officers are encouraged to apply and may be credited up to 4 years on the pay step scale based on previous experience.
Testing is being conducted for an immediate need to hire multiple officers and to establish an eligibility list for future hiring needs.
The City of Markham Police Department is a full-service police department. The dedicated men and women of the Markham Police Department serve twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, all year long. Currently Markham Police Department consists of the Administration Division, Investigations Division, Tactical Unit, Records Division, and Community Relations Section.
Applications are available at:
The application deadline is:
Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 4:00 PM
(Note: This is not a postmark date)
Applications will be available online for purchase until 2:00 PM on 6/1/22
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
ATTN: Markham PD
200 W. Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident of the U.S. who produces evidence of intention to become a U.S. Citizen.
- Driver’s License: Must have a valid Driver’s License with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver’s License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirements: Applicants shall be under 35 years of age, at the time of application (6/1/22) and at such time as the final eligibility list is posted, unless exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10-2.1-6 which provides, in part, that the age limitation does not apply to any person previously employed as a full-time police officer in a regularly constituted police department of any municipality; or to any person who has served as a Deputy under Counties Code or has served as a sworn officer of the Illinois State Police; or to any person who has served as an auxiliary police officer for at least 5 years and is under 40 years of age. Veterans who have served on active military duty for at least one year may exceed the age limitation of 35 years by years served in active military duty, but by no more than 10 years. Applicants must be at least 20 years of age at time of test (6/18/22) and 21 years at time of appointment.
- Education: Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Character: Must have no felony convictions and be of good moral character.
- Testing: Must be able to participate and successfully complete all stages of the testing process.
- Residency Requirements: Must reside within 25 miles of the City of Markham boundaries at the time of appointment.
- P.O.W.E.R. Card: Must possess a valid P.O.W.E.R. (Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report) Card from a certified testing agency, MUST have been issued between the dates of 6/1/21 and 6/1/22.
Additional information will be provided in the packet which can be downloaded at:
There is a $35.00 non-refundable application fee. Applications are NOT available at the Markham Police Department or City Hall.
All applicant questions must be directed to our office: 847-310-2677
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date:
Orientation and Written Examination:
Registration starts at 8:30 AM
Saturday, June 18, 2022
Orientation starts at 9:00 AM
Written Exam immediately following the Orientation
Markham Park District
16053 Richmond Avenue
Markham, IL 60445
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of Markham, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.