Lieutenant / Sergeants
Preferred days to work:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Available for weekend details when needed.
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to perform non-sworn field law enforcement duties such as traffic control, ordinance enforcement and animal control tasks, and assigned office duties. The work is performed under the supervision of the Patrol Shift Supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Enforces parking and other Village ordinances. Writes and issues ordinance citations.
- Performs animal control duties, or refers to County Animal Control division, as appropriate. Participates in apprehension and confinement of stray domestic and wild animals.
- Responds to non-criminal calls for service such as vehicle lockouts. Performs premise exams on residences and businesses.
- Performs traffic control activities.
- Performs assigned office and clerical duties. Assists in completion and compilation of reports, enters information to computer records, retrieves information from computer databases.
- Acts as department liaison to the public regarding requests for information regarding police reports and ordinances. Processes citizen complaints. Fingerprints non-criminal fingerprint applicants.
- Testifies in court proceedings as needed.
- Delivers and collects packages and documents.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- High school diploma or equivalent; vocational/technical training in police science, criminal justice, or related field preferred; OR
- Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
- A valid Illinois motor vehicle operator’s license and good driving record required.
Physical and Mental Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication:
- Ability to assemble, copy, record and transcribe data and information, following a prescribed plan. Ability to compare, count, differentiate, measure and/or sort data and information.
- Ability to explain, demonstrate and clarify to others within well established policies, procedures and standards. Ability to follow specific instructions and respond to simple requests from others.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference data and information such as billings, work orders, operating instructions, schedules, time sheets and maintenance vehicle records.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, department personnel and vendor representatives.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Judgment and Situational Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to apply functional reasoning in performing routine functions following clearly prescribed standard practices.
- Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving a variety of generally pre-defined duties which may be subject to frequent change.
- Ability to deescalate conflict in dealing with the public.
- Ability to operate, maneuver and/or steer equipment and machinery requiring simple but continuous adjustments, such as motor vehicle, common hand tools and custodian’s tools.
- Ability to coordinate eyes, hands, feet, and limbs in performing coordinated movements such as tightening, inserting and mixing.
- Ability to exert moderate physical effort in sedentary to light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling.
- Ability to recognize and identify similarities or differences between characteristics of shapes, sounds and odors associated with job-related objects, materials, and tasks.
Ability to work under conditions which require exposure to environmental factors such as weather, toxic agents, machinery, traffic hazards and/or dust. This exposure may cause some discomfort and presents a risk of injury.
Applications may be picked up at:
Pingree Grove Police Department
May be downloaded at the Village website:
The Village of Pingree Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Village will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.