The Glen Ellyn Police Department is seeking to fill the newly created position of Emergency and Training Coordinator.
The Emergency & Training Coordinator is responsible for oversight of all Village matters regarding emergency management. Additionally, this position will assist with policy management, police personnel training management, special event management, and grant writing duties.
This position seeks to plan, organize, and administer new and current programs which are in place to augment or improve current standards, evaluates services to the community, and to broaden Department capabilities through advancement in technology.
The Emergency & Training Coordinator is responsible for ensuring Department staff receive training and education consistent with their individual positions and specialty responsibilities. They will assist with the creation and management of policies and procedures, analyze operational functions, and develop reports as necessary.
- Attend area and regional training and informational meetings with the Local Emergency Management Coordinator.
- Develop and maintain emergency plans and exercises as required.
- Liaison and coordinate with the DuPage County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (OHSEM).
- Develop and maintain emergency plans for special events.
- Serve as a liaison with utility companies and provide data as requested.
- Maintain a working knowledge of, and retain access to, a broad range of law enforcement training courses and programs, both locally and abroad, for all Department personnel.
- Maintain a curriculum of mandatory training courses for sworn and civilian personnel.
- Maintain/provide all training records using the appropriate databases.
- Maintain a list of training vendors and continually seek additional training vendors and courses. All vendors and courses must meet or exceed Department standards for content, credibility, and professionalism.
- Review course content and instructor performance with personnel attending training, to assess applicability and quality of training.
- Ensure training certificates are obtained, documented/logged, and appropriately filed.
- Assist the Administrative Sergeant and/or Commanders with coordinating in-service training.
- Draft new/update current policy and operation bulletins as directed.
- Research and develop personnel development programs.
- Coordinate/assist the Field Training Supervisor.
- Produce and provide quarterly training reports or as requested.
- Monitor Department training certifications and produce forecasting reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
- A valid Illinois motor vehicle operator's license
- Ability to complete a training officer certification course
- Ability to complete a New Coordinators Workshop (LEMC) course
- Ability to complete an Emergency Planning course
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree (B.S. / B.A.) from an accredited university is preferred, but not required.
- Prior experience as a local emergency manager coordinator in DuPage County is preferred, but not required.
- Prior experience in law enforcement is preferred, but not required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply Village, State, and Federal policies and legislation, Village ordinances, procedure manuals, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Ability to operate various types of standard office equipment, computer, and database software. Other equipment may be required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with other members of the staff, supervisor, and the public.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement Village policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence; Federal, State, Village, and local regulations; MSDS sheets, safety manuals; and warning labels.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgement and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 50 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily indoors except during emergencies, special events, and training sessions.
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and an employment application (Application available at www.glenellyn.org/389/Employment) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #23-22 Emergency and Training Coordinator) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- Selected finalists will be required to successfully pass a comprehensive pre-employment background, reference check and post-offer medical physical with a drug screening.
- Resume and employment application are due before June 16, 2022. The position is open until filled; however, first review of resumes will begin June 15, 2022.
Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER