The City of Evanston is now accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Evanston Police Department.
Please read these application requirements carefully, paying particular attention to deadlines and required documents.
- Passing score on the Written Exam to be administered online between Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 9:00 AM and Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 4:00 PM
- Passing score on the Subjective Component consisting of a Structured Oral Interview and Writing Assessment (dates to be determined)
- Successfully Passing: a complete background investigation, polygraph, and psychological assessment
- Certification by the Evanston Public Safety Civil Service Commission
Police Officer Minimum Requirements:
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions in accordance with 50 ILCS 705/6.1
- Valid State issued driver's license and a safe driving record
- Must be between 21 and 35 years of age at the time of employment, unless exempt by State statute (no age limitation with previous employment as full-time police officer or not older than 45 years of age with eligible prior active duty military service)
- High school diploma or GED equivalent -AND- completion of 60 college credit hours
- Must possess a valid P.O.W.E.R. Test card or equivalent certificate issued within the past 12 months of the announced test date (August 4, 2022); Only P.O.W.E.R. Test cards issued by NIPSTA, Joliet Junior College, or Triton College or equivalent will be accepted
- Valid Firearm Owner Identification card or the ability to obtain one
- Resident of Evanston, Illinois at the time of application
- One or more years of active duty service and honorable discharge from the US Armed Forces
- Current employment as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer and having passed current agency's probationary period (lateral salary is $80,493 - $83,564 based on experience)
- Certification as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board or reciprocal State training board
Required Documents (to be submitted at time of application):
- COPY of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status (acceptable documentation may include a valid U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, permanent resident alien card, or naturalization papers)
- COPY of your valid driver's license (if your license was renewed with a sticker, copies of the front AND back are required)
- COPY of your social security card
- COPY of high school diploma or GED certificate (acceptable documentation may include copy of high school diploma, high school transcript with graduation date, dated GED, college transcript showing high school and high school graduation date, or signed letter on high school letterhead)
- COPY of official college/university transcripts indicating completion of at least 60 college credit hours from an accredited college or university; Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted!!
- COPY of valid P.O.W.E.R. Test card or equivalent certificate issued within the past 12 months of the application deadline date (July 18, 2022)
Preferred Required Documents:
- COPY of Military Discharge Form DD-214 (if applicable)
- COPY of current driver's license or State ID showing residence in Evanston, IL
- COPY of certification as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or reciprocal state training board
- Proof of current employment as a full-time sworn law enforcement officer
Applicants must submit all supporting documents online by 4:00 PM (CST) on Monday, July 18, 2022.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
For more information about the Evanston Police Department, please visit the City's website at:
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity.