The City of Elgin, Illinois seeks highly qualified police officer candidates.
in 1836 and located 35 miles northwest of Chicago, Elgin is proud of its diversity in demographics and culture. From its revitalized downtown area, including the award-winning Riverwalk and the Hemmens Cultural Center, to its many comfortable neighborhoods, four historic districts, 1,600 acre parks system and extensive regional recreational assets, Elgin offers a unique quality of life, whether one is interested in city or suburban living. Elgin's motto, "The City in the Suburbs", embodies a celebration of Elgin's past, enjoyment of the present, and the promise of Elgin's future.
Elgin operates under the council-manager form of government, which was adopted in Elgin in 1954. The City has approximately 650 Full Time Employees and a $275 million budget. The City of Elgin's Strategic Principles and Priorities serve as a guide for the City and community. The City Council has established the following values and goals to help it realize Elgin's full potential as "The City in the Suburbs": Collaboration, Innovation, Diversity and Inclusion, Stewardship, to be the City of Choice, to be a Safe and Healthy Community, to be a High Performing and Financially Stable Government.
Requirements for the position:
Candidates must meet and submit the following required documentation by the application deadline of July 16, 2022:
- Copy of birth certificate / Naturalization papers if born outside of US
- Candidates must be 21 years of age or older by July 16, 2022
- Candidates may not be older than 35 by July 16, 2022, unless you have previous employment as a full-time Police Officer in another municipality. Veterans shall be allowed to exceed the maximum age requirement by the number of years served on active military duty, but by no more than 10 years of active duty.
- Candidates must be citizens of the United States or an alien admitted for permanent residence or lawfully admitted for temporary residence and can produce evidence of intention to become a citizen of the United States
- Copy of a valid driver's license
- Copy of Military Separation papers (DD 214), if applicable. Five additional points will be given on the eligibility list to those candidates who have 1 or more years of active duty military experience with an honorable discharge.
- Candidates will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination by the date of hire and must receive any CDC recommended COVID-19 vaccine booster shots as needed.
Candidates must meet and submit the following required documentation by July 16, 2022 for this requirement:
Must meet ONE of the following requirements and provide a copy of a college transcript/diploma:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college
- 60 credit hours of college credit and have (3) years of full-time Police Officer experience
- 60 credit hours of college credit and have (3) years of active duty in the United States military
- 60 credit hours of college credit and be a current City of Elgin full-time employee with at least (3) years of full-time employment with the City of Elgin
- 60 credit hours of college credit and have participated in the Elgin Police Department Explorer Program with at least four (4) years of participation and with not less than 400 hours of volunteer time in the program.
- An associate's degree of applied science in criminal justice from Elgin Community College.
For more information about the position go to: