The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of Markham is now accepting applications for the position of: Firefighter
Testing is being conducted for immediate new hires and to establish an Eligibility List for anticipated future hiring needs.
The City of Markham Fire Department is a full-service fire department.
The community of Markham is spacious, serene and offers affordable housing. Markham is the Prairie Capital of the Prairie State with abundant wildlife and acres of virgin prairie land.
Surrounded by easy access to major highways and to the City of Chicago, Markham is a natural hub for transportation, to all points in the nation.
Applications are available at:
The application deadline is:
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 4:00 PM
(Note: This is not a postmark date)
Applications will be available online for purchase until 2:00 PM on 8/24/22
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
Attn: Markham FD
200 West Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Driver’s License: Must have a valid Driver’s License with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver's License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirement: Applicants must have attained their 21st birthday by the last date for filing applications (8/24/22). Applicants must be under the age of 35 at the date of testing (9/10/22) and at such time as the Final Eligibility List is posted, unless exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10-2.1-6., which provides, in part, that the age limitation does not apply to any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of any municipality or fire protection district located in Illinois.
- Education: Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Character: Must have no felony convictions and be of good moral character.
- Testing: Must be able to participate and successfully complete all stages of the testing process.
- Certifications: Must be a certified Basic Operations Firefighter (Formally Firefighter II) through the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal at the time of hire; AND Must, possess a certified EMT-Basic License through the Illinois Department of Public Health at the time of hire.
- Residency Requirements: The City of Markham Fire Department does not have a residency requirement at this time.
- CPAT: CERTIFICATION NOT REQUIRED TO TAKE THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION. Must possess a valid Candidates Physical Ability Test (CPAT) at the time of conditional offer of employment.
Additional information will be provided in the application packet which can be downloaded at:
There is a $30.00 non-refundable application fee.
Applications are NOT available at the Markham Fire Department or City Hall.
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date:
Orientation and Written Examination:
Registration starts at 12:00 PM
Saturday, September 10, 2022
Orientation starts at 12:30 PM
Written Exam immediately following Orientation
Markham Park District
16053 Richmond Avenue
Markham, IL 60428
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of Markham, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.