Village of Fox Lake Employment Opportunity
Community Service Officer
JOB ID Code #22-05
Full-time, Non-Exempt position
The Village of Fox Lake (population 10,978) is located 55 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and 20 miles west of Waukegan, Illinois. Fox Lake is located in Lake and McHenry counties. The Village is located on the South Shore of Pistakee Lake, Nippersink Lake, and Fox Lake, three connected water bodies that form part of the Chain O’Lakes system. The Village of Fox Lake has a total area of 9.942 square miles of which around 20% is water.
The Village of Fox Lake is seeking interested applicants for the position of Community Service Officer.
The Community Service Officer is a non-sworn position. Community Service Officer is under the direction and supervision of the Chief of Police, Command Staff or Shift Supervisor. He or she is responsible for a variety of service-related functions which support the police role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them if the work is similar, related of logical to the position.
- Hears and respond to calls for service, taking action where appropriate;
- Responds to lockouts from autos or residence;
- Provides motorist assist;
- Gathers found and lost property (Reports);
- Responds to animal complaints to include capturing stray domestic animals and other non-domestic animals;
- Responds to parking complaints and issue citations as appropriate
- Provides house/business extra watch patrols;
- Assists with private property accidents (investigations) and responds to and takes reports on property crimes such as criminal damage to property;
- Assists sworn officers with booking and jail monitoring procedures;
- Inventories motor vehicles or property subject to police tow;
- Assists the Fire Department at the direction of the Shift Commander;
- Provides information to persons who request information or assistance within the scope of the assigned duties;
- Assists and provides traffic direction as needed/requested;
- Reports situations that are outside of Community Service Officers purview to shift supervisor;
- Issue local ordinance violations;
- Operates a vehicle to relocate a speed trailer or other utility trailer;
- Performs vehicular and pedestrian traffic control;
- Transports police vehicles to the Village garage for service;
- Performs assigned school crossing guard functions (if needed);
- Responds to animal calls for service and take action to alleviate the animal problems, when possible, or guide the complaint to the proper agency for assistance;
- Performs courier duties by picking up and delivering circuit court material to and from neighboring departments and the circuit court of Lake County;
- Investigate and prepare animal bites reports;
- Appear in court and testify professionally and impartially when necessary;
- Assist with department community service projects and programs;
- Completes minor building and facility maintenance functions;
- Work various schedule shifts including weekends and holidays, to include various shifts and times of day;
- METRA Parking lot--collection of money and deposits
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively through the use of a police radio;
- Ability to effectively communicate during Court testimony;
- Work without direct supervision within boundaries of areas of responsibility;
- Have a working knowledge of computers, computer software, and office equipment;
- Have integrity and discretion;
- Ability to maintain confidential information, possess a high level of integrity and adopt a professional work ethic;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Village employees, vendors and other members of the public;
- Provide outstanding customer service;
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with a diverse group of people;
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision, multi-task, and follow through on completion of projects;
- Ability to apply laws, rules, policies, and procedures
- High School Diploma, or GED Equivalent;
- Valid Driver License;
- Ability to operate an SVU;
- Knowledge of municipal government.
A copy of the full job description can be found on the Village’s website.
HOW TO APPLY:
All qualified candidates should submit a completed job application (blank application located on the Village of Fox Lake’s website at http://www.foxlake.org/jobs.aspx), cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3) professional references to:
Indicate (Job ID #22-05) in the subject line.
Hard copies (mailed, faxed, or hand delivered) applications will be declined.
Position is open until filled. Applications will be viewed upon receipt.
For more information about the Village of Fox Lake, please visit our website at:
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Human Resources Division at 847-587-3971.
THE VILLAGE OF FOX LAKE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER