The Lansing Police Department is accepting applications for the Lateral Entry Police Officer.
Current Police Officer Work Schedule:
12-hour schedule - 2 days on/2 days off, 3 days on/2 days off, 2 days on/3 days off – Repeat.
Every other weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) is a scheduled three days off.
- Patrol Officer
- Crime Scene Investigator
- Breathalyzer Operator
- Truck Enforcement Officer
- Range Officer
- Defensive Tactics Instructor
- Tactical Officers
- School Resource Officers
- Field Training Officer
- Juvenile Officer
- Traffic Officer
- DEA Officer
- K-9 Officers
- Emergency Response Team (ERT)
- Suburban Major Accident Reconstruction Team (SMART)
- South Suburban Major Crimes Task Force (SSMCTF)
- ILEAS Mobile Field Force (MFF)
- South Suburban Emergency Response Team (SSERT) Operator and Hostage Negotiator
- Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC)
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Applicants for lateral appointment to the Police Department shall fall into one of the following two categories:
- Applicants who possess a full-time Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (“ILETSB”) police officer certification and have previously been a full-time sworn officer of a regular police department in any municipal, county, university, or State law enforcement agency in the State of Illinois.
- Applicants who possess a police officer certification from another state, are currently employed as a full-time sworn officer of a regular police department in a municipal, county, university, or state law enforcement agency, and have completed a six (6) month probationary period at their current police department. Applicants shall submit evidence of such, and meet all ILETSB standards and requirements to be eligible for the waiver of full-time academy training.
- No residency requirements.
- U.S. Citizen with a valid Driver’s license.
- Currently in good standing in the police department in which the person serves.
Application packets are available at:
- Fill out and save the on-line application.
- Submittal of a resume is also required. On your resume, please list any significant training; to include what police academy you attended (name, city and state).
- Submit the completed application and the resume as PDF attachments and send electronically to email@example.com.
Applicants who successfully meet the qualifications for lateral entry will be considered for oral interviews. Applicants who successfully complete the oral interview, and who are offered a conditional offer of employment, will be required to undergo a background investigation, polygraph, psychological examination, physical examination, and drug test. Any hired applicants will be subject to all relevant Lansing Police Department policies and procedures, as well as any applicable collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
Questions concerning this application process can be addressed to: