All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Elk Grove Village Police Department:
- Be a United States citizen, and must speak English;
- At least 21 and under the age of 35 by the date of the written examination (September 22, 2022) unless exempt by state statute;
- Possess high school diploma or GED equivalent;
- Completed 60 semester college credit hours from an accredited college or university as of September 6, 2022 -OR- must have served 24 months of active duty or 180 days of combat duty as designated by the Department of Defense in the United States Armed Forces, and have not been discharged under circumstances other than honorable.
- No felony convictions and must be of good moral character. (Note: A misdemeanor or felony conviction does not constitute automatic bar from employment. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstance, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for, may however, be considered in assessing qualifications for employment. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information regarding criminal convictions to assist the Village in evaluating qualifications for employment in the position sought). The applicant understands that the Village is not requesting, nor should the applicant disclose expunged juvenile records of adjudication or arrest;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license;
- Possess 20/40 corrected vision;
- May not have any face, neck or hand tattoos that cannot be covered. See FAQ on Summary of Hiring Process page for details;
- Successfully pass a written examination, background investigation, oral interview with the Board of Fire and Police Commission, polygraph, medical evaluation (to include drug and alcohol screening), and psychological evaluation;
- Must possess a valid POWER Test card, issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (September 6, 2022);
- Only POWER Test cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.*
- Applicants must present the POWER Test card NO LATER than the application deadline date (September 6, 2022).
- Pay a $20.00 non-refundable application processing fee; Hardship Waivers are available by request. Application fee will be refunded by Elk Grove Village if hired.
*Visit the following websites for additional information on obtaining a POWER Test card:
Applications must be submitted online by Monday, September 6, 2022 at 4:00 PM (CST).
Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted. Please be advised that technical support is only available during normal business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Mandatory On-Line Written Examination Testing:
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at:
9 AM on Tuesday, September 20, 2022 through Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 4 PM
The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website: