In this role you will:
Under the supervision of the Watch Commander, receives requests for emergency and non-emergency services (requests may be in person, via telephone, via radio network or via other electronic means). Obtain sufficient information to determine the appropriate University Police response, and if emergency or administrative action needs to be taken.
To be successful in this role, qualified applicants will have:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AS OUTLINED IN THE CLASSIFICATION SPECIFICATION CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER.
- No record of conviction of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude
- High School graduation or GED
- Receive and interpret all requests for service in person or telephone calls to the University Police department including citizen complaints, inquiries and reports of emergency and non-emergency situations, with the responsibility of transferring calls, taking messages or dispatching personnel as necessary.
- Monitor multiple police and campus based radio frequencies with responsibility of receiving and transmitting information regarding safety and well being of officers and citizens; responding to officer's request for information and providing additional assistance as necessary. Utilize and monitor the Law Enforcement Agencies Data System (LEADS) for messages directed to this department and make entries and request for data as requested by officers in the field and the Watch Commander. Responsible for maintaining LEADS files according to LEADS user agreement.
- Responsible for gathering, maintaining, entering and retrieving data, calls for service and other officer activity into the department's computerized records management system. Operate multiple records management systems; university owned as well as other law enforcement related systems, entering or retrieving data as necessary. Process and/or prepare routine police and departmental documents and records.
- Monitor and audit security/fire alarm systems, video surveillance systems and emergency communication systems, dispatching officers as needed and contacting outside agencies for emergency response when necessary. Monitor local weather warning systems and make notification of severe weather notices as needed. Inspect for operability all telecommunications systems used with the responsibility of recognizing and reporting malfunctions.
- Assist visitors to campus via telephone or in person, with directions to the campus or other university offices or events. Provide information to the university community via the university's primary notification system, in regard to fire alarms, and all emergencies on the campus including information on inclement weather. Control access to restricted areas of police station by requiring proper identification and/or escort.
- Issue and inventory all control keys, patrol key rings, radios and other equipment at the beginning of and during each shift. Issue and record use of all master keys. Occasionally assist in the training of student or replacement telecommunications operators, interns or other designated personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
(This position requires a background check.)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University, you must submit the following:
- Employment Application (Original initials and signatures are required for each position applied. Electronic initials and signatures are not acceptable.)
- Affirmative Action Form
- Cover letter
If you have any questions, please email us at:
For general information please visit the State of Illinois University Civil Service website at:
NEIU Employment Services reserves the right not to consider any application on the basis of incomplete information/documents, delay in submission, and disqualifications under the rules of State Universities Civil Service System. Employment Services, however, assures that your application will be duly reviewed on the basis of the classification(s) in which you qualify and, accordingly, will inform you of their decision.
A current application, affirmative action form, statement of annuitant status form, official transcript(s), resume and cover letter must be submitted by 11/29/2022.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.