We expect to immediately fill certified positions.
In addition to certified officers, we will be compiling a list to sponsor non-certified candidates into the part-time police academy at a future date.
The Village of Sleepy Hollow, Illinois is currently seeking applications from exceptional individuals for the position of part-time Police Officer.
We have a simple and timely hiring process directed by the Chief of Police. Any future full-time openings will be filled through our part-time roster.
The Sleepy Hollow Police Department is fortunate to deliver our services in concert with citizens who are supportive of our officers and show their appreciation often.
We are a police administration that is forward thinking and recognizes the contributions of its officers.
The applicant will perform duties to include but not limited to:
- Enforcing traffic, criminal laws and local ordinances
- Provide emergency response as needed
- Write reports
- Handle traffic crashes
- Attend court as needed
- Handle any and all other duties assigned
- Work a minimum of four shifts and provide availability for eight non-consecutive shifts each month on all shifts including weekends and holidays (We will try to work with you on hours if you have a full-time 40 hour a week job.)
Minimum qualifications include:
- 21 years of age
- U.S. Citizen
- High school graduate (or equivalent)
- Valid drivers license and satisfactory driving record
- Valid FOID card
- Excellent moral character
- Good mental and physical condition
- Ability to pass the power test if assigned to the part-time academy
- No felony or domestic violence convictions
- Willingness to work all shifts
- Willingness to work weekends and some holidays (mandatory to work Fourth of July)
- MUST BE a graduate of one of either the full-time or part-time sworn officer Illinois training programs and be State of Illinois certified, or have the appropriate training and certification from another state that is compatible with Illinois training requirements or willingness and ability to complete an upcoming 9 month part-time police academy
- Currently employed in law enforcement or separated/retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency or a willingness to commit to the Part-time police academy
All qualified applications will be required to:
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a thorough background investigation, including possible credit check
- Complete a Reimbursement Agreement for costs incurred by the Village of Sleepy Hollow for the applicant, should the applicant voluntarily leave the police department within the first eighteen months of employment or completion of training if sent to the academy
- Pass a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and possibly a psychological evaluation after acceptance of appointment
Providing an application does not automatically guarantee you will be hired. We reserve the right to hire based on our hiring policies/procedures and the successful completion of our detailed pre-employment background investigation and approval by our Chief of Police and the Village of Sleepy Hollow Village Board.
If you are not currently certified and/or a sworn police officer, please do not submit an application.
Pre-Application can be found at:
Sleepy Hollow Police Department
One Thorobred Lane
Sleepy Hollow, IL 60118
Monday – Friday
7 AM - 3:30 PM
Pre-Applications may be returned:
U.S. postal mail
In person at:
This web page's advertisement may be changed at a later date without notice at the direction and discretion of the Sleepy Hollow Police Department.