The Village of Brookfield is seeking qualified candidates for two open positions:
Part-time Day Shift Community Service Officer (CSO)
Part-time Afternoon Shift Community Service Officer (CSO)
These two positions perform a variety of public service, customer service, and law enforcement related duties and responsibilities that do not require the services of a sworn police officer, as well as perform a variety of administrative duties in the Police Department. The focus of these positions will be parking enforcement duties.
The Village of Brookfield, population 19,476, is a vibrant, diverse community located 13 miles west of downtown Chicago that offers convenient transportation with numerous community amenities including respected schools, an excellent library, three Metra train stations and a parks and recreation system. This non-home rule municipality is home to the Brookfield Zoo, owned by the Cook County Forest Preserve District and operated by the Chicago Zoological Society. Brookfield is a full-service community with a total budget of $45 million and 92 full time employees. Village departments include Village Manager's Office, Finance, Community Development, Fire, Police, Public Works, and Parks and Recreation.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Enforce parking and local ordinance violations.
- Assist in handling reported stray animals and animal bites.
- Perform traffic control at fires, accidents, downed power lines, parades, and any other incidents requiring traffic direction and control.
- Prepare a variety of written reports as directed summarizing various activities occurring during an assigned shift.
- Coordinate the removal of abandoned and other vehicles with the Village's towing contractor.
- Respond to non-emergency requests and handle public safety communications.
- Appear in court as a representative of the Police Department as necessary.
- Provide front desk reception and customer service duties.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent is required. Progress towards a college degree, associate degree, or bachelor's degree is desirable.
- Experience in a Police Department or law enforcement agency is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal communication skills for interaction with the public, employees, elected and appointed officials, external agencies, and units of government.
- Must have and maintain the ability to type accurately at a speed necessary for successful job performance; communicate clearly both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships; receive and follow verbal and written instructions; perform basic mathematical calculations; and manage multiple tasks simultaneously as needed.
- Have and maintain the ability and willingness to receive and handle confidential material and information in an ethical and professional manner.
- Basic use of Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn the operation of computer aided dispatching.
- Ability to learn geographic features of streets in the areas served.
- Have and maintain the ability to read and interpret documents, instructions, manuals, policies, and procedures.
- Have and maintain the ability to accurately proofread and edit documents for correct grammar, spelling, sentence structure, punctuation, tone, and content. Ticket writing accuracy is an essential function of these positions.
- Have and maintain the ability to collect, logically organize and analyze information, and make appropriate decisions or recommendations within the scope of the position responsibilities.
- Have and maintain the ability to develop work methods and procedures with initiative and good judgement while demonstrating resourcefulness and tact in meet new challenges.
- Ability to operate a Police Department vehicle independently.
- Ability to learn and operate emergency equipment installed in Police Department vehicles.
- Ability to learn and use animal restraints.
To apply, please visit:
If selected, successful completion of a criminal background check, and post-offer physical and drug/alcohol screening, and driver abstract record search are required.
The Village of Brookfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer.