The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of St. Charles is now accepting applications for the position of Entry Level Firefighter/Paramedic.
Testing is being conducted for several anticipated new hires and to establish an Eligibility List for future hiring needs.
Located roughly 40 miles from Chicago, St. Charles is a place where rich history meets exciting opportunity. Featuring charming neighborhoods, historic buildings, and shaded parks on the banks of the scenic Fox River. The City of St. Charles offers a mixture of cultural events, great restaurants, wonderful schools, convenient shopping, and fun nightlife options.
The Mission of the St. Charles Fire Department is to create and foster a safe and secure local community and deliver excellent emergency services, in order to safeguard and enhance lives, resources and community well-being.
Applications are available at:
Applications will be online for purchase until 2/15/23 – 2:00 PM
The deadline for returning completed applications is:
Wednesday, February 15, 2023 by 4:00 PM
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
ATTN: St. Charles FD
200 W. Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Driver’s License at the time of application with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver’s License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirement: Applicants MUST have attained their 21st birthday by the last date for filing applications (2/15/23) Applicants must be under the age of 35 years at the time of testing (3/4/23) unless exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10-2. 1-6 which provides, in part, that the age limitation does not apply to any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of any municipality or fire protection district located in Illinois.
- Education: Must have proof of High School Diploma, GED Certificate or High School Proficiency Statement.
- Firefighter Certification: Certification as a Firefighter II/Basic from the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal as of 3/4/2023.
- Paramedic Certification: Must be certified as an EMT-P (by the State of Illinois or National Certification acceptable by Illinois Department of Public Health) at time of application OR show proof of being currently enrolled in an Illinois Department of Public Health approved Paramedic certification program at time of testing and EMT-P certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health at the time of hire.
- Residence: Primary residence within the state of Illinois in the area defined by the following boundaries. This area is bounded by the Wisconsin border on the north, Lake Michigan or the Indiana border on the east, US Highway 24 west to interstate highway 74 west/north to interstate highway 80 west to the Mississippi River on the south, and the Mississippi River on the west. The residency will be inclusive of the cities or villages which US Highway 24 west to interstate highway 74 west/north interstate highway 80 west to the Mississippi River runs through.
- CPAT Card: Must possess a valid CPAT (Certified Physical Ability Test) with Ladder Climb card from a certified testing agency, at time of written exam on March 4, 2023. CPAT certification shall not be more than one year old as of March 4, 2023.
All individuals meeting eligibility requirements are encouraged to continue with the application process.
Additional information will be provided in the packet which can be downloaded at:
There is no fee for the applications for the St. Charles Fire Department.
Applications are NOT available at the St. Charles Fire Department or City Hall.
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date:
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination:
Saturday, March 4, 2023
Registration starts at 1:00 PM
Orientation – 1:30 PM
Written Examination immediately following the Orientation
St. Charles North High School
255 Red Gate Road
St. Charles, IL 60175
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of St. Charles, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.