Town of Cicero, Illinois
Police Officer – Lateral Hire
The Town of Cicero is now accepting applications for Lateral Hire Police Officers.
Candidates should under general supervision, be able to perform general police patrol duties, including but not limited to:
- Basic accident investigations
- Traffic control and enforcement
- Initial investigations into criminal and non-criminal activity and related functions involving the safety and protection of life and property
- Promote crime prevention strategies
- Apprehend criminals
- Enforce Federal, State and Local Statutes/Ordinances
Lateral Entry Qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or GED Equivalent AND be ACTIVELY employed as a sworn law enforcement officer for the past 2 consecutive years immediately prior to the date of submission of your application.
- Be currently certified as a full-time law enforcement officer.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess a valid Firearms Owners Identification Card (FOID).
- Be a United States Citizen or a Naturalized Citizen.
- Be able to operate designated city vehicles.
- Have no convictions for DUI and no loss of license as a result of a moving violation within the past 36 months at the time of application.
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have no convictions for serious misdemeanors involving moral turpitude as defined in 65 ILCS/10-2.1-6.
Applicants who meet the above qualifications must:
- Complete and submit an application.
- Participate in an interview/assessment process conducted by a joint committee.
- Furnish job experience documentation.
- Provide a law enforcement certification that has been issued or accepted by the Illinois Training and Standards Board. Include any and all state of Illinois certified courses. (i.e., NEMRT, TRI-RIVER, ILESTB etc.)
- Current departmental stats, including awards, commendations, etc.
- Current resume (encouraged, but not required).
The examinations of lateral entry candidates shall be job-related and practical in character and relate to those matters which will fairly test the capacity of the persons examined to discharge the duties of the position. Candidates are required to provide a resume and copies of training and certification documentation for scoring purposes.
Candidates will also be scored on:
- Cognitive abilities
- Personal appearance
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Attitude towards police work
- Police related knowledge
Candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to pass the following:
- Psychological exam
- Medical exam, including drug screening
- Oral interview(s)
- Background Investigation - EXTENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION WITH CURRENT AND PAST EMPLOYERS
- Polygraph exam
- PRIOR TO FINAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT ALL APPLICANTS MUST PRESENT A LETTER OF GOOD STANDING FROM CURRENT EMPLOYEER (LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY). NO EXCEPTIONS.
Accepted candidates shall be placed current lateral entry eligibility list from results of oral interview, from which the Town of Cicero Police and Fire Commission may select at their discretion to fill vacancies depending on qualifications and experience. Acceptable candidates will remain on lateral entry eligibility list for a period of up to two years.
Applications are available at:
Cicero Police Department (Front Desk)
4901 W. Cermak Road
Cicero, Illinois 60804
Applications are available 24 hours
March 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM
Completed applications must be submitted with:
- $35.00 Certified check or Money Order made payable to the Town of Cicero. No cash or personal checks will be accepted.
- Photocopy of applicant's current state issued driver's license
- Firearms Owners Identification Card
- Social Security Card
- Certificate of high school diploma
- All current police/security certifications that the applicant has attained
- If applicant possesses college degree, certificate of college diploma and/or sealed transcripts may be included, as well.
- Passport size color photo attached to the finished application
Please make sure that all applications are placed in a sealed envelope, attention and contain accurate contact information (phone numbers, email addresses and residential addresses) and mail to:
Cicero Police & Fire Commission
5410 W. 34th Street
Cicero, Illinois 60804
ALL CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED THROUGH THE EMAIL YOU PROVIDE THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PROCESS.
***ALL APPLICANTS WILL GO THROUGH AN EXTENSIVE BACKGROUNG INVESTIGATION WITH CURRENT AND PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS. ***
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
All applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, sexual orientation, military status or unfavorable discharge from military service.