Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center
Summary of Position and Duties:
The Human Resources Division of the Village of Addison, Illinois is accepting applications for the purpose of filling future vacancies in the position of 9-1-1 Dispatcher.
The Village of Addison will also be using this recruitment to create a hiring list that may be used to fill future vacancies in the position of 9-1-1 Dispatcher. The hiring list will be valid for one (1) year from the date of the test. In order to be placed on this hiring list, all applicants must take and pass the test that is administered for this position.
The Dispatcher is an at-will, FLSA non-exempt position.
Dispatchers are assigned to answer all 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls for police, fire and emergency medical services.
The Center is a consolidated dispatch center serving multiple agencies. Future expansion in the number of jurisdictions this dispatch center will handle is possible.
It is an essential function of this position that all Dispatchers be able to satisfactorily and safely work any of the following shifts that they may be assigned to:
Be available and present for work as scheduled; and perform all functions of the job safely and efficiently at all times in compliance with all safety regulations and policies for the safety and welfare of the employee, co-workers, and the public.
- 6:30 AM - 2:30 PM
- 2:30 PM - 10:30 PM
- 10:30 PM - 6:30 AM
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements to be an eligible candidate for this position:
- Must also be capable of obtaining CPR, EMD and matron certifications within a timeframe established by the Village of Addison and maintain those certifications on an annual basis;
- Ability to obtain certification as a Full Access LEADS operator by the Illinois State Police within a timeframe established by the Village of Addison;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Ability to pass a written examination, a full police background investigation, psychological and physical examination, drug, hearing, and vision screenings and a personal interview;
- Conduct a ride-along with members of the Addison Police Department;
- Be able to sit at the Addison Consolidated Dispatch Center Radio Room and observe the operations of the Center, as required by the Village;
- Ability to safely and satisfactorily work any of the three (3) shifts (6:30am – 2:30pm; 2:30pm – 10:30pm, 10:30pm – 6:30am), weekends, and holidays, along with any expected/unexpected overtime that may be mandatory, these are essential functions of the Dispatcher position;
- Schedule flexibility and multi-tasking skills in a stressful environment are paramount;
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM.
- Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination Session to be held on Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 9:00 AM.
Beneficial qualifications include:
- Experience in successfully dealing with the public, in person and over the phone, on a very frequent basis, including the ability to handle irate, difficult, upset and demanding customers with professionalism and courtesy;
- Possession of at least two (2) years of experience in Emergency Service or other related fields as a Dispatcher;
- Possess a Class D Illinois Driver's License, free of incidence which may result in license suspension or revocation of certification;
- Full-access LEADS (Law Enforcement Agency Data System) certification;
- CPR/AED certification;
- Computer/data-entry experience;
- Experience with computer-based, multi-line telephone equipment.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Please refer to the Village of Addison website: www.addisonadvantage.org - Division of Human Resources Section, to review a copy of the Village's policy on Equal Opportunity Employment.