The Galesburg Police Department is recruiting interested candidates to apply for the position of Police Patrol Officer.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
Police Patrol Officers are responsible for maintaining civil order through the application of law enforcement. General duties relate to the preservation of life and property, as well as the suppression and prevention of crime through the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
Incumbents operate in the areas of police patrol, traffic control, and preliminary investigative work, at all times operating within the framework of departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Responds to all requests for police services.
- Provides appropriate response to emergency and/or non-emergency events. Must have the ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency and hostile situations.
- Communicates effectively through strong written and verbal skills to co-workers, superiors, and the general public.
- Enforces laws and ordinances regulating motor vehicle traffic.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations of crime and accident scenes.
- Collects information and evidence, interviews involved parties, detains and/or apprehends suspects.
- Provides supportive court testimony as required.
- Exhibits good discretionary judgement.
- Produces written reports detailing investigative and/or police services provided.
- Adheres to departmental policy and procedure.
- AGE: Must be 20 years of age to test and 21 years of age at time of appointment. Applicants shall be under 35 years of age at the time of application and posting of the final eligibility list, unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Illinois Fire and Police Commissioner's Act. Veterans are allowed to exceed the age provision by number of years served on active duty, but by no more than 10 years of active service.
- DRIVER'S LICENSE: Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- EDUCATION: A High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) is required *The City of Galesburg Board of Fire and Police Commissioners are temporarily waiving the college requirement.
- A High School Diploma (or G.E.D.) is required plus 30 semester/credit hours in law enforcement, courses taken to transfer toward a four-year degree, or other related courses from an accredited College or University. This may be waived if the applicant served 24 months of honorable active duty in the United States Armed Forces or has served for 180 days of active duty in the United States Armed Forces in combat duty recognized by the Department of Defense and is still in active status or has been honorably discharged.
- PHYSICAL APTITUDE: Must be able to perform the duties of the position.
- MORAL CHARACTER: Be of good moral character with no felony convictions.
- CITIZENSHIP: Applicants must be a U.S. Citizen.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must complete the online application located at the City's website at:
To receive proper consideration, an application should be submitted through the City website as soon as possible and must be received prior to the close of business on Wednesday, May 31, 2023.
Sworn Police Officers who would like to apply, may do so by selecting "Certified Police Officer" on the online job application. All entry-level candidates, should select "Entry-level Police Officer" on the online job application and take note of the testing requirements listed below.
The examination date is currently set for:
Saturday, June 3, 2023
Tuesday, June 6, 2023
Note that these dates may be subject to change
The exact time, date and location of the examination will be set by the Board, and published in the newspaper, and qualified applicants will be notified by email of their acceptance and the precise date and time of their examination.
The selection process involves a series of tests, evaluations and examinations that will include:
- Written Test
- Oral Test
- Polygraph Test
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination that includes a screen for common drugs of abuse
Applicants who continue through the selection process will be required to furnish when requested copies of the following documents:
- Military Service Records
- Discharge Papers
- Birth Certificate
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Certified transcript of course work from an accredited College or University