South Barrington Police Officer: Full-Time
The South Barrington Police Department is looking for exceptional candidates interested in joining its ranks!
Our standards and expectations are high. We offer the opportunity to join a professional police department performing its work with honor, integrity and respect in a community that appreciates its police officers.
- At least 21 years old, and under 35 years old, or as otherwise permitted by law
- United States citizen
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university OR Honorable Discharge from the United States Military (Bachelor's Degree will be required for promotions)
- Valid driver's license
- Successful completion of the Police Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) test no more than 12 months before the date of application at one of the following testing facilities:
- Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA) in Glenview
- Joliet Junior College in Joliet
We encourage women and minorities to apply.
Application packets and instructions for the written test are available at:
South Barrington Police Department
30 South Barrington Road
South Barrington, Illinois 60010
Monday through Friday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Please apply with the following documents to receive consideration:
- Signed employment application form and authorization to release information
- A copy of your birth certificate or certificate of naturalization
- A copy of your high school diploma or GED certificate
- A copy of your college or university degree, if applicable. (A sealed and certified transcript of your course work will be required for the background investigation)
- A copy of your U.S. Military DD-214 form, if applicable
- A copy of your valid driver's license
- If applicable, a copy of your certificate of completion of Illinois Basic Law Enforcement Academy training or comparable training from another state
- A copy of the document confirming you passed the POWER test within twelve months of application
Return application materials to the South Barrington Police Commission via email at:
Applications and required documentation must be received by 5:00 PM on Monday, September 25, 2023. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Information for the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Test:
The Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board established the Peace Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) Test as a physical assessment tool for entry to Illinois police academies. The test was created in recognition of the importance of physical fitness in the performance of essential law enforcement duties.
The test requires police officer candidates to engage in the following activities:
- Sit and Reach Test
- One Repetition Maximum Bench Press
- One Minute Sit-Up Test
- 1.5 Mile Run
The test is graded on a pass/fail basis. Applicants must successfully complete all four exercises to pass the test.
You will find more information on the POWER test at: https://www.ptb.illinois.gov/media/1755/new-power-test-chart-2023.pdf
The POWER Test is offered on a limited schedule at the following testing facilities. Schedule your POWER test immediately, if you have not already taken it.
- Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA), 2300 Patriot Boulevard, Glenview, IL 60026, 847-998-8090, www.nipsta.org
- Joliet Junior College Building G - Fitness Center, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL 60431, 815-280-2674, www.jjc.edu