The City of McHenry is accepting applications for full-time entry level Telecommunicators.
Are you looking for a challenging and rewarding career with an organization that values its people, provides competitive wages and outstanding benefits? Join our team!
The Telecommunicator (T/C) is a civilian member of the Police Department engaged in the coordination and dispatch of emergency Police, Fire and Emergency Medical services provided by the City of McHenry received from Emergency Communications networks and devices including but not limited to E-911 telephone system, inter/intra-departmental voice radio interconnects and State/Federal criminal justice data systems. NERCOM handles on average 86,000 emergency service calls annually for 16 police and fire/rescue agencies.
Apply directly at:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Obtain/maintain LEADS /NCIC, CPR, and EMD certifications.
- Pass extensive background investigation and employment physical. No felony convictions.
- Ability to work a 24/7 schedule in 12 hours shifts. Weekends and holidays are required.
- Work well under pressure, effectively manage stress, and maintain emotional balance under rapidly changing situations.
- Ability to listen, comprehend the caller, follow established protocol, and make quick decisions affecting public safety.
- Ability to multi-task - answer phones, communicate with caller, dispatch to police/fire/EMS, enter data into system all simultaneously.
- Produce written reports, logs, and records.
- General computer skills in a Windows environment; type 35 words per minute
- Read, understand and interpret maps; receive/give directions using maps.
- The ability to provide excellent customer service while professionally communicating with callers who may be angry, argumentative or disagreeable.
- Understand and comply with all department procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Bi-lingual skills a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates who hold EMD certification and have work experience with Central Square CAD software.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to a mandatory written exam.
- The exam will take place on Saturday, November 4, 2023
- There will be no makeup test dates.
- Candidates passing the written exam will be invited to a panel interview.
- Interviews will tentatively be scheduled in early December.
- Selected candidates will then be sent for an extensive background check and psychological testing.
- Candidates receiving an offer of employment will then be sent for a physical and drug screen.
The City of McHenry is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class.