Firefighter/Paramedic (Entry Level) Testing NOW Available!
The City is proud to partner with National Testing Network (NTN) on the next Firefighter/Paramedic Eligibility Test.
NTN provides the ability to apply and test for our department from the comfort of your home and on your schedule. Interested persons must complete testing at the NTN in addition to completing this application.
Candidates must complete an examination at the agreed upon time set by NTN and it must be completed BEFORE December 13, 2023.
If you schedule to complete your exam after the deadline, you will not be considered eligible for this call for applications. All testing protocols set by NTN are to be strictly adhered to by the candidate. Failure to adhere to the testing guidelines will result in an incomplete application.
Download and complete:
2023 FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC APPLICATION
Applications may be filled using the following methods:
- Printed and legibly written. Please use a blue or black pen to complete the application.
- Using the fillable .PDF form.
You must submit the following documents in addition to the completed application:
- Signed Consent and Release Forms
- Copy of your high school diploma (or GED)
- Copy of valid driver’s license (both sides)
- Copy of birth record as proof of citizenship/residency (see application for additional information regarding proof of residency)
- Copy of a valid IDPH Paramedic License or letter stating enrollment in a paramedic program with anticipated completion date
- Copy of CPAT and ladder climb certificate. Must be dated 12/13/2022 – 12/13/2023
All applications and materials must be submitted via email to:
Applications can be sent in .PDF; .jpeg (i.e. photo) or .png.
For questions pertaining to the application and process, please contact the Des Plaines Fire Department at:
Please contact National Testing Network at:
- If not already a member, a $55 non-refundable membership fee to National Testing Network (NTN), and/or $12 to participate in City of Des Plaines examination testing
- U.S. resident
- No felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions for offenses outlined in the Rules Regulations of the Board of Fire & Police Commissioners (“Board’s Rules”)
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Valid Illinois driver’s license or ability to obtain one
- 20 to under 35 years of age as of the date of the written exam, but must be 21 prior to appointment, unless otherwise provided by the Rules and Regulations and/or Illinois Statute (e.g., exception for attaining age 35 during military service, exception for certain previous full-time firefighter employment)
- Illinois Department of Public Health Paramedic License, or must be currently enrolled in a paramedic program at time of application
- Must possess a CPAT and Ladder Climb certificate dated within one year of the application deadline
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Possess good moral character and sound health
- Submission of an application, all required documents listed on the checklist and complete exam by NTN by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 13