Chief of Police, Sergeant of Police
To be determined
The Police Officer, under the supervision of a superior officer, shall be a conservator of the peace. The Police Officer shall be specifically charged with the protection of the City of Farmer City and its citizens, businesses and visitors, and all aspects of public safety. In addition to enforcing the laws of the State of Illinois, the Police Officer will also enforce ordinances of the Municipal Code of Farmer City.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Maintains order within the city.
- Conducts frequent but irregular patrols of the city to prevent and detect crimes and eliminate hazards, and identifies, investigates, and reports issues that impact the safety and quality of life of citizens.
- Takes appropriate action in dealing with violators of the law and ordinances
- Renders assistance and information to members of the community.
- Enforces traffic and parking regulations and directs traffic and the preliminary investigation of traffic accidents.
- Responsible for preliminary criminal investigations as required.
- Prepares and submits written reports on all aspects of the job.
- Responds to and takes control of emergencies in an effort to protect lives and property.
- Provides assistance to local, county, state, and federal police and fire departments as required.
- Controls and cares for all issued Police equipment.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders first aid that is in keeping with training and experience.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Chief of Police or superior officers.
The Police Officer is accountable for performing all the above duties in a responsible, timely, and safe manner. The police officer is to seek guidance from a superior officer if a situation arises that the officer is unsure of.
PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Works directly with the Chief and all other superior officers, junior officers, and police staff.
- Works cooperatively with city employees, citizens, visitors, and diverse public.
- Works cooperatively with local, county, state, and federal public safety agencies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree in Law Enforcement or Criminal Justice (or related field) preferred.
- Experience as a sworn law enforcement officer preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of application or as otherwise exempt by statute.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Must be willing to submit to and pass a background investigation and have no felony convictions.
- Must be willing to attend and pass training as required by the department.
- Must be in good physical condition. A physical exam may be required.
- Must be able to read and understand the criminal code.
- Must be able to write in a clear and accurate manner.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the described job; it is not an all-encompassing statement of all the work requirements that may be necessary to perform the job.
Please provide a resume, 3 professional references, and fill out a City of Farmer City employment application.
All documents are to be turned into City Hall located at:
105 S Main Street
P.O. Box 49
Farmer City, IL 61842
Position Open until filled
The application can be located on the city's website:
All documents may be sent via e-mail to: