$49,513 - $88,110
What is the pay?
The starting annual salary for this position is $49,513. This position is eligible for annual economic adjustments and step increases as outlined in the Janesville Professional Police Association (JPPA) labor agreement.
What if I am already a Sworn Officer working for a different agency?
The Janesville Police Department accepts lateral transfers from qualified law enforcement agencies. For all new employees hired after January 1, 2016, the City may grant an initial pay rate on any step of the salary schedule to a maximum of the 5-year step, and vacation to the maximum of the 2-year step. Such placement shall not affect the new employee's seniority for any other purpose.
Are there other benefits?
Yes! On top of being a great community to live and/or work in, CoJ offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
CoJ is part the Wisconsin Retirement System, which is among the best funded and best managed public pension systems in the country and is the 8th largest U.S. public pension fund! For 2024, employees contribute 6.9% and the City of Janesville contributes 14.30%, totaling 21.2% of earnings contributed each paycheck.
When combining the benefits CoJ provides and your annual salary, the total compensation rate is potentially $65,619 – $80,340 annually, depending on the benefits and coverage types elected.
To make the benefit package even better, benefits go into effect quickly to help ease our new hires' possible stress over lapse in coverage. If new employees are hired before the 15th of the month, medical, dental, and vision insurance will go into effect on the date of hire. If new employees are hired on or after the 15th of the month, medical, dental, and vision benefits will go into effect on the 1st of the following month.
City of Janesville is currently recruiting: Police Officers
Click here to view Janesville Police Department's (JPD) recruitment video:
The City of Janesville (population 66,202) is in south-central Wisconsin and the citizens of Janesville choose this community, not just as a place to live, but as a place to realize life's opportunities. We strive to sustain a community culture where differences are recognized, understood, and appreciated. As such, the City of Janesville recognizes the importance of developing an environment where diversity is not merely accepted but embraced and celebrated.
As public servants, we believe everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. To this end, we will diligently recruit and retain the most talented employees in an environment that fosters maximizing one's potential. Therefore, we encourage individuals from all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to consider employment with the City of Janesville and serve the residents of "Wisconsin's Park Place".
JPD's mission is to enhance the quality of life in Janesville by working cooperatively with the community and citizens to enforce the law, preserve the peace, reduce the fear of crime, and provide for a safe environment while serving with pride, honor, courage, and respect. In 2021 a community survey revealed that almost 90% of residents are satisfied or very satisfied with the quality of life in Janesville and 92% indicated that they were comfortable or very comfortable approaching a member of the department.
Read the full survey results here or view the most recent annual report here.
What will I do as a Police Officer?
Police Officers perform work in the enforcement of law and maintenance of order, protection of life and property, and prevention of crime. The function of this position is extremely varied and can change depending on the immediate situation. This position places very strenuous demands on an individual, including very physical and psychological demands. This position upholds the law, conducts routine patrol enforcement of state, county, and local laws and ordinances, maintains order, prevents crime, makes arrests, answers calls for service, and performs related work as required.
What requirements/qualifications do I need to meet?
What does the schedule look like?
As a new Officer and once fully trained, you will be assigned second or third shift and will work a rotation of 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on, 3 days off. Overtime will also be available and needed.
What are the next steps in applying?
You can view the full job description by clicking here; please click the menu bar above the search box, go to "Class Specifications", and search for the Police Officer.
Please click on "Jobs" in the top right corner
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be required to attend JPD's written and Wisconsin Physical Readiness Test (PRT) testing on:
Saturday, March 9, 2024
More details will be provided after the position has closed and applicants have been reviewed.
Sunday, March 3, 2024 at 11:59 PM
The City of Janesville is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ad viewed 724 times
Police Jobs, Fire Jobs, Civilian Jobs