The City of Aurora is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Public Safety Communications Manager for the City of Aurora’s public safety agencies.
The Public Safety Communications Manager will be responsible for the development, maintenance, and enhancement of a comprehensive informational program for all areas of interface between the Aurora Police Department, Aurora Fire Department, the Mayor’s Office, and the public, and the establishment of professional working relationships to expand opportunities for improved interface with the public.
In collaboration with the Communication and Marketing Divisions and public safety personnel, the Public Safety Communications Manager will be responsible for promotional and informational work in the preparation of publicity, development of promotional programs, and material designed to improve public awareness of public safety services, crime, fire incidents, department activities, and projects.
Duties of this position also include, but are not limited to:
- Writing/editing press releases, crime data, and special articles concerning police activities, programs, plans, and projects
- Coordinating/preparing video and other material for radio and television public service announcements and for social media
- Developing and executing police and fire-wide web and social media strategies
- Respond to occasional critical incidents and after-hours assignments and attend police and fire events for media coverage
- Planning and composing news stories, articles, speeches, radio and television scripts, bulletins, and various periodic and special purpose reports
- Provide training to assigned police officers and firefighters on public information release, the use of social media avenues, and effectively providing presentations
- Serve as central point for quality and branding control for all Police and Fire social media venues, publications, and outreach programs
- Lead, develop and administer community surveys and monitoring of department performance measures and strategic plan initiatives
- Develop mechanisms and strategies to facilitate communication between the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Mayor’s Office, and employees regarding progress toward organizational goals, changes, and achievements
- Performs other duties as required or assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field preferred or equivalent work experience required.
- Must have at least five (5) years of experience in journalism, publications, or public relations, marketing, and communications; or any equivalent combination of acceptable education, training, and experience.
- The ideal candidate must have the ability to respond to occasional critical incidents and after-hours assignments, as well as attend police events for media coverage.
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
Must successfully pass pre-hire requirements including but not limited to a physical, drug screen, and background check.
- Experience in public safety.
- Bilingual (Spanish) ability is desired.
- Proficiency in crisis, internal and public communications through education, training and work experience, or a combination thereof preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience and/or ability to demonstrate knowledge of public safety operations preferred.
- Completion of PIO courses and/or certifications offered by FEMA, FBI-LEEDA, National Incident Management System (NIMS), or similar professional institution preferred.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Please submit application and resume online:
To learn more about the City of Aurora, IL, visit: