IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Merit Commission is currently accepting applications for lateral transfers to the position of Deputy Sheriff in the Law Enforcement Bureau of the Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS:
An employee in this class, under general supervision:
- Preserves and protects life, property, and the rights of all citizens to live in peace
- Enforces the laws in a fair and impartial manner
- Serves and executes all legal processes
- Prevents crime and maintains the safety and order as well as operates in a proactive manner to prevent criminal activity
- Initiates and conducts investigations of criminal activity
- Responds to calls for service
- Conducts follow-up investigations
- Identifies and arrests criminal offenders and persons wanted on criminal warrants or Civil Court Order
- Assists with the prosecution of cases
- Patrols an assigned area for the prevention of crime and enforcement of laws and ordinances
- Investigates suspicious conditions, activities or persons
- Arrests violators of laws and ordinances
- Directs traffic and enforces traffic laws
- Searches prisoners for weapons or articles
- Enforces rules and regulations of the office policy and procedures
- Handles other duties as assigned
Opportunities for future growth include:
- General case detectives
- Forensic investigators (detectives)
- Digital forensic detectives
- Canine team
- Tactical street team
- Community resource unit
- CIU/PCRT Deputy
- Numerous collateral assignments (i.e. bomb team, SWAT, ILEAS WMD, road evidence technicians, crisis negotiators, peer support, drug recognition experts, arson investigations) and task-force assignments with the U.S. Marshall’s Team, Department of Homeland Security Narcotics/Money Laundering group, and Secretary of State Auto Theft
YOU MUST BE CURRENTLY WORKING AS A FULL-TIME CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICER OR DEPUTY SHERIFF IN THE STATE OF ILLINOIS AND:
- Have completed either one year of full-time continuous experience or satisfactorily completed the probationary period at your current agency (if longer than one year).
- Be in good standing with your department as of the date of application as well as the date of certification by the Commission.
- Be acceptable to the Commission following an investigation and pass a background, reputation and character examination conducted by the Sheriff’s Office, or an agency or company licensed to conduct background investigations, as authorized by the Sheriff’s Office.
- Pass an oral interview by the Commission.
Additionally, all applicants who are appointed from the candidate list for lateral transfer to Deputy Sheriff must successfully complete a one (1) year probationary period as a Deputy Sheriff during which time they are subject to discharge and termination by the Sheriff at will.
Download the application packet at:
Mail your completed application along with copies of your birth certificate or naturalization certificate (U.S. citizen applicants) OR Permanent Resident card and FOID card (non-citizen applicants), high school transcript, high school diploma, or General Education Development (G.E.D.) certificate, DD214 (if applicable), and law enforcement certificate from the State of Illinois to:
DuPage County Sheriff’s Merit Commission
421 N. County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL 60187
Please email the Merit Commission with any questions:
The Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer