3 POSITIONS - DISTRICT OFFICE
Requisition Number: req2127
San Jacinto College
- In an effort to deter and detect crime or violation of College regulations, position will perform a variety of police duties such as: patrols assigned areas/parking lots, and outlying College properties and buildings to ensure their security.
- Regulates pedestrian and vehicular traffic; investigates traffic accidents and files preliminary accident reports; checks all automobiles on College property for improper parking, overtime parking and display of College registration decals; issues tickets for vehicular violations.
- Assists emergency ambulance service and provides first-aid treatment to members of the College community and to visitors; provides emergency escort service to the College community and to visitors where necessary.
- Observes, detects and reports any unauthorized situations, which may lead to illegal or prohibited actions on campus, which could compromise the safety of the College community.
- Maintains quality standards, by study and research, in order to keep abreast of advanced techniques and ideas designed to improve police performance.
- Maintains public confidence and support by emphasizing public relations through providing information about the College related matters to students, staff, faculty, and the general public.
- Provides security for special events; provides safety escorts.
- Prepares criminal cases and presents testimony in court or other hearings concerning traffic violations, criminal offenses, and disciplinary matters.
- Conducts various crime prevention programs, as directed, to promote public awareness of risk prevention strategies.
- May be assigned FTO duties to provide field training to peer officers and may assume Officer In Charge (OIC) responsibilities.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring Department.
- Patrols campus to enforce laws and parking regulations.
- Assists with emergency service and provides first aid treatment.
- Provides security for special events, and information to the campus community and general public.
- Conducts parking enforcement; write parking tickets, provide directions to park in designated areas.
- Conducts crime prevention programs and surveys for students, faculty and staff.
- Works closely with college administrators to reduce and mitigate conflicts.
- Conducts preliminary criminal investigations, accident/injury investigations and submit reports.
- Prepares criminal cases and presents testimony in court.
- Performs related or similar duties as required or assigned.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, working conditions, and physical abilities required.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent may be required to sit, stand, drive, walk, run, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, push, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, jump over, pull, carry, reach above head, lift, lower, hand-wrist and elbow motion, grasp, hold, and to climb and balance.
- Must exhibit and maintain ability to give and receive information through speaking and listening; to remain awake and alert and visually observable at all times, and exercise full use of arms, hands, and legs.
- The incumbent may be required to lift more than 100 pounds.
- Must be willing to work day, evening, or nights on any one of three shifts (7am-3pm/3pm-11pm/11pm-7am), weekends, holidays, overtime, and special events with varying days off.
- Nature of police work involves a high degree of risk and exposure to various hazards to include criminal offenses, emergency response, traffic stops, and a diversity of calls for service. Exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED required.
- Must have completed the TCOLE Peace Officer Licensing exam with a minimum score of 70 percent and obtain a valid TCOLE certification by the close of the posting.
- Must be 21 years of age, and a U.S. citizen.
- Two (2) years police experience. In lieu of experience, must meet one of the following two requirements: Twelve (12) earned hours of college credit from an accredited institution (exclusive of Police Office Academy hours); or honorable discharge from the military with a TCOLE certification.
- Copies of the following must be attached to your application for it to be considered: Texas Driver's License, a copy of basic TCOLE certificate, or license, or the acknowledgement from TCOLE stating you passed the Basic Peace Officer Exam, High school diploma or GED certificate, If applicable, must provide a copy of college transcript and military DD form 214.
- As a condition of employment, this position requires the successful completion ofa background check upon hire.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas driver's license within first thirty (30) days of employment.
Individuals with Disabilities:
- If you consider yourself an individual with disabilities and require assistance in completing the application process, please contact Wayne Wauters at 281-998-6313.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The San Jacinto College District is committed to equal opportunity for all students, employees, and applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.