Part-Time Fire Inspector
Community Development Department
The Village of Glen Ellyn Community Development Department is recruiting for one (1) part-time Fire Inspector. The purpose of this position is to inspect commercial and multi-family residential buildings annually for compliance with fire, life safety, property maintenance, building and zoning codes and ordinances; to re-inspect where violations are noted; to initiate and follow through on code enforcement activities as warranted; to maintain accurate records and reports of inspections; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to Village businesses and property owners.
- Inspect new and existing buildings, structures, and properties for compliance with the Village’s fire, life-safety, property maintenance, building and zoning codes and ordinances.
- Perform inspections of new and existing businesses for fire and life-safety code compliance as part of the Village’s business registration program.
- Document locations and conditions of hazardous material storage. Inspect such properties to ensure to ensure compliance with applicable codes, laws and regulations.
- Update and maintain records of building ownership, tenancies, construction types, occupancy use, fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems, etc.
- Determine occupancy load for commercial properties, prepare and issue occupancy load placards.
Work with building and business owners to develop and/or review fire exit plans.
- Work with building and business owners to ensure that required testing of fire alarm and fire suppression systems is performed. Maintain records of testing.
- Prepare, issue and maintain record copies of inspections performed.
- Prepare reports as directed on a regular basis related to work activities or building conditions.
- Issue violation notices and perform follow-up inspections as required to achieve code compliance.
- Issue citations when appropriate, prepare case files and testify at administrative hearings.
- Determine if the Certificate of Occupancy and Occupancy Load placards are properly displayed in public areas.
- Inspect businesses whenever the use, occupancy or floor plan is changed.
- Perform related clerical duties of filing and ordering forms and labels.
- Must possess an Associate’s degree, completed Bachelor’s degree preferable.
- Certification as Fire Inspector I, through the International Code Council or the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshall required within one year of hire.
- Minimum of two (2) years of fire technology or experience in a public building or fire department performing plan reviews, and /or performing building and property maintenance inspections.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Illinois motor vehicle driver’s license.
The Village is seeking qualified candidates who effectively demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with tact and professionalism. Qualified applicants will also possess excellent typing skills and be proficient in personal computer skills and programs including Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) and Windows-based programs. Candidates must also be able to perform basic mathematical calculations, and possess the ability to comprehend, retain, and apply Village rules and procedure manuals, including any pertinent Federal, State, or local laws. Must be able to demonstrate the ability to operate various types of equipment, including, but not limited to, standard office equipment, and computers.
The duties of this job include physical activities such as reaching, walking over irregular surfaces and up and down stairs and ladders, lifting and/or moving (up to 20 pounds) objects, grasping, driving a vehicle, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, typing on a keyboard, and repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Work environment includes both an office setting as well as working outdoors in various types of weather conditions.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm - 20 hrs/week on a consistent schedule.
SALARY/BENEFITS: The starting pay offered for this part-time, non-exempt position is $23.70/hr. to $29.86/hr. DOQ. Actual starting salary is negotiable, and will be dependent upon qualifications, experience, and professional achievement.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter email@example.com. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #24-19 Part-time Fire Inspector) in the subject line of the e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer physical and drug screen.
- The position is open until filled; however, first review of applications will begin on November 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER