The Village of Vernon Hills is seeking a candidate for the position of Part Time Administrative Assistant I in the Administrative Services Division of the Vernon Hills Police Department reporting three to four days per week, with flexible hours.
The individual designated by the Chief of Police for this multi-function part time position will be a civilian employee under the direct supervision of the Administrative Services Commander. This position is responsible for a variety of clerical and technical duties related to the maintenance of Police Department Records and the operation of the Property Control Room; provides assistance and information to Police Department staff and other Village Departments; and provides responsive, courteous and efficient service to Village residents and the general public. As an employee of the Vernon Hills Police Department, the individual will comply with the orders, policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the Department. It is also expected that the individual will perform in a professional manner in all dealings with the public and departmental personnel.
- Maintain and update reports and records in the Department's record management system, including scanning of related case documents for accurate record keeping purposes; maintain the integrity of documents and information sensitive to public safety and law enforcement.
- Assist the public by answering or seeking the answers to a variety of questions concerning the Police department and the Village regarding its ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Front office reception; including handling walk-in traffic and initiating entry into CAD system for appropriate police response.
- Process all facets of all citations including: data entry, receipt and post payments, prepare violator notifications for adjudication hearing dates and fine escalations; update records as necessary.
- Operate LEADS state records system to retrieve data regarding persons and vehicles and must be able to obtain LEADS certification within 6-months of hire.
- Assist with the preparation for adjudication hearings and processing payments at monthly hearing dates.
- Assist with the operation of the Property Control Room to ensure safekeeping, accurate recording and proper disposition of all lost, stolen, abandoned and unclaimed property. Fulfill requests for Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), subpoenas, seal/expungement orders, the state's attorney's office, local prosecutors, and DCFS.
- Perform other tasks and clerical duties assigned by the Administrative Commander.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Requires two (2) years of general clerical/administrative experience.
- Previous experience working in a local law enforcement agency is highly preferred.
- Requires working knowledge of office equipment, procedures, and practices.
- Requires working knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic.
- Requires ability to type accurately at a working rate of speed.
- Requires ability to prepare, maintain, and submit a variety of files, records, and reports.
- Requires ability to work independently and efficiently following established guidelines and procedures.
- Requires ability to speak on the phone in a well-modulated voice, using good enunciation and grammar in choice of words.
- Requires ability to perform varied clerical recording and processing functions requiring general knowledge of the office of assignment.
- Requires ability to attend to detail with accuracy.
- Requires ability to operate standard computer software and hardware.
- Requires ability to provide routine information and general assistance to persons over the phone and in person.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Requires ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with co-workers and the general public.
- Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, reference check, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen.
- Successful completion of a twelve-month probationary period.
Application forms may be obtained from:
290 Evergreen Drive
Vernon Hills Police Department
754 Lakeview Parkway
On the Village website at:
Applications must be fully complete including sufficient detail to determine if an application meets the specific requirements.
Please submit completed applications, resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Department at:
Village Hall in person
By email at:
Please include the title of the position for which you are applying, in the subject of the email. Resumes not accompanied by the completed Village of Vernon Hills employment application will not be considered for employment.