The Village of Gurnee Police Department
Lateral Entry (experienced) Police Officers
Now Accepting Out of State Certified Officers
The mission of the Gurnee Police Department is to defend the lives, rights, and quality of life of all the residents and visitors we serve with honor and integrity.
The men and women of the department are fully committed to accomplishing this mission by achieving four fundamental objectives:
- Crime Prevention - to provide a proactive and educational approach to reducing crime.
- Crime Control - to provide a rapid and professional response to confront crime as it occurs.
- Community Involvement - to create an excellent partnership with the community through exceptional communication and transparency.
- Team Building - to create an excellent work environment so we can recruit and develop an exceptional team.
We are seeking experienced Police Officers for Lateral Entry who value these objectives. If you value these same objectives, consider applying with the Gurnee Police Department.
Applications are now being accepted on an ongoing, continuous basis.
- Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) with no more than forty (40) hours of training required for recertification OR successful completion of an out-of-state Basic Police Officer Training program which can be transferred and accepted by the ILETSB
- Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer, corrections officer certification, or military law enforcement training does not meet this requirement
- Experience – at least 2 years experience as a full-time sworn, certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years; municipal law enforcement experience preferred
- Candidates with less than 2 years experience may be considered if the candidate has completed 60 hours of college credit or has 2 years active duty military experience in addition to full-time sworn certified law enforcement officer experience
- Valid Driver’s License
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen
- Education - High school education or equivalent
The Gurnee Police Department has specific appearance policies for its Officers and employees, including but not limited to policies related to tattoos, body art, branding, and body piercing or body alteration / mutilation. Candidates considering employment are to be aware that responses to questions on the application form in relation to department policies may have a direct impact on eligibility for hiring. Additional personal grooming and uniform standards apply upon hiring.
For more information and application packet, visit the Village's website at:
Equal Opportunity Employer