The Village of Vernon Hills Police Department
Lateral Entry Police Officers
The mission of the Vernon Hills Police Department is to protect life and property; preserve a peaceful community; prevent, detect, and investigate crimes; justly enforce laws; and protect the rights of all persons.
To fulfill our mission, we are committed to:
- Acknowledging our responsibility to the citizens of Vernon Hills, our source of authority
- Performing our duties within the spirit and the letter of our laws and constitution
- Remaining sensitive to human needs and treating people with respect, compassion, and dignity
- Approaching each situation as unique and responding with empathy and prudent discretion
- Promoting mutual trust between the department, citizens and other community institutions
- Enhancing safety and a feeling of security for our residents
- Fostering a quality work environment that encourages open communications and affords trust, respect, and support for each member
- Promoting professional development and growth of each member
We are seeking experienced Police Officers for Lateral Entry with the same values. If you hold these same values, consider applying with the Vernon Hills Police Department.
Applications for lateral entry are now being accepted until March 2, 2020 at 8 AM.
For more information and application packet:
Vernon Hills Police Department
Village's website at:
Candidates for lateral appointment to the position of Police Officer must meet the following minimum qualifications and requirements at the time of application:
- Full-time State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB). Part-time certification as a law enforcement officer, corrections officer certification, or military law enforcement training does not meet this requirement.
- Experience – at least 2 years of continuous experience as a full time sworn with successful completion of probationary period, having worked as a full-time certified law enforcement officer within the last 3 years.
- Valid Driver's License
- Education – High School Diploma or GED and at least 60 hours of study at an accredited institution of higher learning.
Candidates considering employment are to be aware that responses to questions on the application form in relation to department policies may have a direct impact on eligibility for hiring.
The Vernon Hills Police Department has specific appearance policies for its employees, including but not limited to policies related to tattoos, body art, branding, and body piercing or body alteration/mutilation. Additional personal grooming and uniform standards apply upon hiring.
Equal Opportunity Employer