Village of Gurnee Fire Department
Firefighter/Paramedic Eligibility List Testing
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements at the time of application and hire:
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old and maximum age of 34 years (unless otherwise exempt under 65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Currently certified as a Basic Operations Fire Fighter or Fire Fighter II under the State of Illinois, Division of Personnel Standards and Education; and
- Minimally a Provisional Paramedic in good standing in the State of Illinois pursuant to applicable statutes and regulations at the time of application or EMT-P. If a Provisional Paramedic at the time a conditional offer of employment is extended, must obtain State of Illinois EMT-P licensure prior to completion of the post-offer background investigation.
- Applicants must provide a Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb dated between September 1, 2018 and February 28, 2020. The cost of the CPAT is the responsibility of the applicant.
The Gurnee Fire Department offers full testing services for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic through National Testing Network, Inc.
What to expect at the www.nationaltestingnetwork.com website:
- From the FIND JOBS tab, select ‘Firefighter Jobs’, then ‘Gurnee Fire Department’ and follow the directions. Review the information related to the Gurnee Fire Department Firefighter / Paramedic position, including minimum requirements, salary, and benefits.
- Completion of the application process - Application packet [download from this website] must be completed and uploaded to the NTN candidate portal, along with all required documents [CPAT + ladder climb certificate, Basic Operations Fire Fighter/FF II certificate; and IDPH Paramedic license] by Friday, February 28, 2020.
- Detailed information about the testing process for the entry level FireTEAM examination: Candidates may purchase a practice examination at www.fireteamtest.com. All costs are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Schedule your own convenient test time. Tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays. Register on the NTN site www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, search Firefighter Jobs, select ‘Gurnee Fire Department’ and follow the directions. Examination must be completed by Friday, February 28, 2020 through NTN. The cost of taking the examination or transferring a prior examination score is the responsibility of the candidate.
Applicants successfully completing the application and testing process will be contacted regarding the oral interview with the Gurnee Civil Service Commission and Gurnee Fire Department Officers. Tentative dates March 16 - 20 and/or March 23 – 27 [dates are subject to change]
After oral interviews are completed, the initial eligibility register is established and eligibility to apply for preference points begins. Preference points - maximum of 10 points:
- Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge: five (5) points
- Education Points: up to five (5) points:
- Associates Degree (any curriculum): 2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum): an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
After application of preference points, the final eligibility register is established and posted.
Eligibility list candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment must successfully pass a polygraph examination; character and background check; psychological examination; and medical examination, including vision and drug screen. All appointments are subject to a probationary period.
Application Packets available for download at:
Friday, February 28, 2020
Equal Opportunity Employer