Entry-Level Police Officer Hiring Process
Wauconda Police Department
The Board of Police Commissioners of the Village of Wauconda, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Wauconda Police Department.
$67,184 (starting) - $90,708 (maximum per F.O.P. contract)
About the Village:
The Village of Wauconda is located in west central Lake County about 45 miles northeast of the City of Chicago. As the Village undergoes growth, the Wauconda Police Department is looking for the best people available to become police officers. Future growth, advancement, potential, salary and benefits are considered excellent.
About the Department:
The Wauconda Police Department employs 32 sworn police officers: 25 full-time and 7 part-time and 2 full-time and 3 part-time civilian employees. Patrol Officers currently work permanent shifts, which are bid by seniority on a yearly basis and a 5-days worked/3-days off, 9 hour schedule. The Department is responsible for providing the community with professional law enforcement service and the protection of all persons and property.
The Police Department is divided into four primary divisions: administration, investigations, patrol, and support services. The Administrative Division is comprised of the Chief of Police, Deputy Chief, and one executive assistant. The Patrol Division has six Sergeants, 17 Patrol Officers, and two part-time Community Service Officers. The Marine Unit falls under the Patrol Division which consists of a full-time Sergeant and six part-time Marine Unit Officers. The Investigations Division consists of one Detective Sergeant, two Detectives, and one School Resource Officer. The Support Services Division is comprised of one administrative assistant, and one part-time support services clerk to perform the daily records functions and monitor the front lobby.
The Wauconda Police Department offers numerous specialty positions for officers, including, but not limited to: Bicycle Patrol Officer, Public Information Officer, Evidence Technician, K-9, Officer-in-Charge (OIC) Officer, Lake County Gang Task Force (LCGTF), and Lake County Major Crash Assistance Team (MCAT).
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Village Paid 100k Life Insurance
- Police Officer Pension
- 10 Days Vacation after first full year of employment
- College Tuition Reimbursement
- 5/3 Scheduling
- Fitness Facility
- Uniform Allowance
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Wauconda:
- U.S. citizenship -OR- permanent residence -OR- temporary resident who produces evidence of intention to become a citizen of the United States
- No felony convictions
- Applicants who are 20 years of age -AND- have successfully completed two (2) years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university shall be eligible to take the initial examination. Any such applicant who is appointed under this provision shall not have power of arrest, or be permitted to carry a firearm until he/she reaches 21 years of age. All other applicants not having such college education MUST be 21 years of age, -AND- have not yet attained age 35, unless meeting certain exceptions as indicated under State Statute
- Possess a valid state-issued Driver's License
- Possess an Associate's Degree -OR- the equivalent of at least 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college (official transcripts will be required at the background investigation stage)
- Residency within 25 miles of the Village of Wauconda
- Successful completion of a written examination, physical ability testing (P.O.W.E.R. Test), oral interview, credit/background investigation, psychological and polygraph examinations, medical examination, and drug testing
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee
- Attend a mandatory orientation session on Friday, April 5, 2019 at 7 p.m. at Wauconda High School
- Take a mandatory P.O.W.E.R. Test and Written Examination on Saturday, April 6, 2019 at 7 a.m. at Wauconda High School
- Application deadline date: Friday, March 15, 2019 at 4 p.m. (CST)
Preference points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Wauconda for the following:
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge).
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website: http://www.applytoserve.com
The Village of Wauconda is an Equal Opportunity Employer