SALARY During the academy:
$19.32 hourly Upon successful completion of the Academy, Police Officer salary range:
$40,913 - $60,881 annually
The Phoenix Police Department is looking for An Everyday Hero.
The Phoenix Police Department is undergoing the most aggressive hiring campaign since the 1980’s! We are seeking to hire approximately 500 officers in the next two years. Our current goal is to put 20 Police Recruits in the Police Academy every month! In order to attract the best qualified applicants, we have put together the strongest salary and benefits package in the State of Arizona.
The Phoenix Police Department offers excellent opportunities through 80 specialty details in 16 Bureaus.
Some of the more popular assignments are:
- Undercover Detectives (drug enforcement, vice, organized crime)
- Investigations (homicide, robbery, assaults)
- Motorcycle Officer
- K-9 Handler
- Bomb Squad
- Special Assignments Unit (SWAT)
- Field Training Officer
- Gang Squad Officer
- School Resource Officer
- Helicopter Pilot
The Phoenix Police Department, founded in 1881, has grown to nearly 3,000 sworn officers and is committed to providing world class police services to nearly 1.5 million people.
Be an Everyday Hero to yourself, your family and our growing, diverse community.
What are the Requirements?
- Must be 20 years old to apply.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be in sound physical and mental health.
- Have at least 20/20 vision uncorrected; or 20/20 vision corrected by glasses or hard contact lenses if uncorrected acuity is 20/80 or better; 20/20 vision corrected by soft contact lenses if uncorrected acuity is 20/200 or better. Vision capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background.
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
- Have fewer than 8 driving violation points, fewer than two chargeable accidents, no convictions for DUI and no loss of license within the previous 36 months.
- Must meet AZ P.O.S.T. and Phoenix Police Department drug standards.
- No commission or conviction of a felony. Misdemeanor arrests are discretionary.
- Must have good moral character and personal integrity.
- No history of criminal or improper conduct. No poor employment or irresponsible financial history.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- AZ POST (Arizona Peace Officers Standards and Training) certified officers may be eligible for lateral transfers after submitting an application and completing the physical agility exam and the Phoenix Police Department background investigation.
NOTICE TO OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS
The selection process involves as many as eight steps. The police department understands the burden this places on out of state applicants and will make an effort to consolidate as many steps in the process as reasonably possible. Out of state applicants may be able to complete the entire process within 3 trips to Phoenix, Arizona; at their own expense.
Applicants will be given both the written and physical agility exams on the Saturday test dates only.
If you have questions about your eligibility contact the City of Phoenix Application Office at (602) 262-6925 (Requirements subject to change)
How Do I get Started?
Visit our website:
To speak to a recruiter call:
Viewed: 21,418 (4/10/07 - &/27/09)