The Sterling Police Department is establishing a lateral entry eligibility list for qualified sworn police officers.
Candidates will need to submit a resume and application.
The Sterling Police Department's lateral entry program includes training and orientation through a field training program that can last up to 14 weeks, depending on experience. Lateral applicant candidates must meet all of the requirements for an entry level police officer.
In-State Lateral Candidate:
- Candidate must be employed as a full-time officer with an Illinois law enforcement agency and shall be employed for a minimum of two (2) years and must possess a valid Illinois Law Enforcement Officer certificate from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
Out-of-State Lateral Candidate:
- Candidate must be currently employed as full-time officer with any municipal, county or state law enforcement agency, such lateral applicant shall have been so employed for a minimum of two (2) years prior to application and shall meet the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board "Out of State Reciprocity" requirements.
Lateral applicant candidates must complete all testing deemed necessary by the Sterling Fire & Police Commission.
Lateral Entry Minimum Qualifications are:
- State of Illinois certification by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB) or meet the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board "Out of State Reciprocity" requirements.
- United States citizen or naturalized citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old at time of application & at time of hire.
- Education – High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience – at least 2 years' experience as a full time sworn, certified law enforcement officer.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Certified Birth Certificate.
- Valid Illinois Firearm Owner Identification card (F.O.I.D.) at the time of hire.
- Must agree to comply with all requirements of the position, including providing copies of any requested employment related materials or other documents to confirm or verify information, and have the ability to pass all examination and training requirements.
Applicants if applicable, shall furnish and military service records, including discharge papers (DD 214).
The City of Sterling or its representatives reserve the right to re-verify candidate qualifications at any time during the screening and hiring process.
- Lateral applicant must not have any felony convictions nor have been convicted of any misdemeanors involving moral turpitude.
- Employees must live within a 30 minute response time from the City of Sterling within one (1) year of the date of hire.
The hiring process may include the following at the discretion of the Board of Fire & Police Commission.
Applicants must successfully pass the following examinations:
- Oral Examination
- Background Investigation
- Physical Agility Examination
- Polygraph Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination including drug screening
LATERAL ENTRY APPLICATION
Any questions may be emailed to: