The City of Aurora, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of Fire Private to establish a Civil Service eligibility list.
- Must be at least 20 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of exam but must be at least 21 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of appointment, pursuant to the Illinois Municipal Code as amended (65 ILCS 5/10-1-1 et seq.).
- Must be a U.S. citizen at the time of exam.
- Must possess a valid Class “D” Illinois driver’s license or a valid out-of-state driver’s license of similar classification by the time of exam. Must possess a valid Class “D” Illinois driver’s license by the time of appointment and obtain a Class “B” non-CDL license within 6 months of appointment.
- Must possess a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification by the time of the *application phase. CPAT certifications will be considered valid within one (1) year of the issuance date.
- Must possess a valid ladder climb certification by the time of the *application phase, pursuant to the State of Illinois enacted Public Act 097-0251. Ladder climb certifications will be considered valid within five (5) years of the issuance date.
- Must possess a high school diploma with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0), or a G.E.D. with a minimum composite score of no less than 2480 points, or at least sixteen (16) hours of college credit with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0) regardless of high school grade point average or G.E.D. composite score.
- Must be correctable to 20/20 with both eyes open with correctable lenses including field of vision/depth perception/color vision within normal ranges.
- Must possess personal integrity and have an excellent moral character.
- A subsequent polygraph and psychological examination will be required, in addition to a thorough **background investigation, drug screen and pre-employment physical.
* The application phase is the time period in which the application, Request for Preference Points Form and other qualifying documentation is required.
** The Fire Private background investigation process can take up to six weeks. You will have to travel to Illinois for the 90 minute, pre-scheduled interview at your own expense.
How to Apply:
You must complete both steps below, no later than September 4th 11:59 p.m. in order to be considered for the eligibility list.
- Birth Certificate
- Valid driver's license
- **Valid Candidate Physical Abilities Test certification (CPAT)
- **Valid ladder climb certification
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- College transcript, high school transcript, or G.E.D composite score
- Completed Preference Points Request Form, with qualifying documents (if applicable)
- July 31 – September 4, 2020, 11:59 p.m. CST
- To be considered for the 2020 Fire Private Eligibility List the video-based job simulation multiple-choice exam, the online application along with documents from the checklist must be completed by September 4, 2020.
- September 25
- Those who meet the minimum cutoff score on the video-based, job simulation exam will be notified no later than September 25, 2020.
- December 10
To learn more about the City of Aurora, IL, visit:
Human Resources Department
44 E. Downer Place
Aurora, IL 60507
*There is a non-refundable base fee of $50 for the exam and an additional cost for each department where you indicate you want to apply. Payments are made electronically using a credit card. If you are interested in testing for this opportunity but, are unable to pay the fee, please complete the hardship waiver form and return it with the required documentation, as soon as possible.
**Candidate Physical Abilities Test certification (CPAT) will be considered valid within one (1) year of the issuance date, a copy of your valid ladder climb certification (Ladder climb certifications will be considered valid within five (5) years of the issuance date).