Police Officer Job Announcement
Application packets are available at:
401 East Irving Park Road
Twenty-four hours a day
Applications will be accepted until noon, Tuesday, October 6, 2020.
Your complete application, all required documents and $15.00 application processing fee must be received by this time in order for you to be eligible to take the Police Officer Written Examination.
The application, required documents and $15.00 fee may be:
- Mailed to Human Resources, 301 East Irving Park Road, Streamwood, Illinois 60107; or
- Returned in person on business days between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., to Human Resources, 301 East Irving Park Road, Streamwood, Illinois, or
- Returned in person on weekends and evenings, to the Police Station, 401 East Irving Park Road, Streamwood, Illinois.
If applications are mailed or returned in person to the Police Department on weekends or evenings, the $15.00 application processing fee must be made by check or money order; if returned in person to Village Hall during regular business hours, cash, check or credit cards are accepted.
- Streamwood Police Officers are responsible for the protection of life and property, prevention of crime, apprehension of criminals, and the enforcement of laws and ordinances.
- A police officer may be assigned to uniformed patrol, traffic control, crime prevention, investigative work, juvenile work, or other specialized departmental activity.
- Work involves an element of personal danger in the pursuit of duties.
- Officers must exercise independent judgment in meeting both routine and complex emergency situations and act without direct supervision.
- A significant portion of time involves public contact where discretion and tact is to be conscientiously exercised.
Within 12 months of hire, officers are required to reside within the area bounded by Lake Michigan on the east, Interstate 39/51 on the west, the Wisconsin border on the north, and Interstate 80 on the south.
- Applicants for the position of police officer shall have completed a minimum of sixty (60) semester hours of
- college credit from an accredited degree granting college or university as listed by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (www.chea.org) or the U.S. Department of Education (www.ed.gov). Courses from a trade school and/or technical school are not applicable toward the required college credit.
- Applicants must be at least twenty (20) years of age, but not have reached their thirty-fifth (35) birthday, as of the last date for filing of applications. A certified copy of applicant’s birth certificate is required to be submitted at the time of application. Applicants must have reached their twenty-first (21) birthday, but not their thirty-sixth (36) birthday, by date of hire.
- Applicants must have a current Police Officer Wellness Evaluation Report (POWER) proficiency card from the Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA), Triton College or Joliet Junior College.
- You must meet all of these qualifications in order to be eligible to take the written examination.
Fire and Police Commission Testing Process:
Two Year Eligibility List:
The Streamwood Board of Fire and Police Commissioners will be preparing a two year eligibility list for the position of Police Officer. Only those people appearing on the eligibility list can be considered for Police Officer positions for this time period
The Written Examination will be given on Saturday, October 17, 2020.
Applicants submitting complete employment applications, with all the required documents, original certified college/university transcripts and $15.00 application processing fee will be notified by mail of the time and location of the Written Examination.
Questions concerning this application process can be addressed to:
Human Resources Department
301 East Irving Park Road
Streamwood, Illinois 60107
Equal Opportunity Employer