City of Des Plaines, Illinois
Chief of Police
Des Plaines, Illinois (Pop. 58,364) - This diverse, strategically located city is just 17 miles northwest of Chicago adjacent to the beautiful Cook County Forest Preserves. Conveniently located just north of Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and along the Des Plaines River, the City is a hub for employers, recreation, entertainment and urban/suburban living. The community finds strength and pride in being an attractive home to young families and long-time residents.
The Des Plaines Police Department is a valued member of the community. Their high visibility affords them a means to affirmatively promote, preserve and deliver a feeling of security, safety and quality services to the residents and business community. The department enjoys strong support from elected and appointed officials. The next Police Chief will have the opportunity to maintain a high level of professional police services and advance community participation and engagement. The current Police Chief is retiring in December 2020 after serving in the position for eight years.
The department is comprised of 130 employees including 97 sworn officers, 15 auxiliary officers and 18 civilian employees. There are two Deputy Chief of Police, 6 Commanders, 11 Sergeants and 79 patrol officers in addition to the Police Chief. The department’s patrol officers, and Sergeants and Lieutenants are represented by the Metropolitan Alliance of Police; the two collective bargaining agreements expire December 2021.
Click here to learn more about the Police Department.
The department has a budget of $25.2 million which demonstrates significant support for training and equipment replacement needs. In 2020, the department will be considering updated body cameras, possible police station improvements and an updated CAD system.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and experiences:
- An approachable individual with well-developed leadership abilities who can establish a positive and professional presence in the community and who will advocate and implement modern policing standards and practices.
- The next Chief will have a supportive relationship with the residents of the community and have complete personal and professional integrity.
- Continue an active and visible relationship with partner and regional public safety networks and neighboring communities. Demonstrate successful experience in progressively responsible supervisory, administrative and managerial assignments in law enforcement, preferably in a suburban/urban community, with a similar socio-economic environment. Bi-lingual, Spanish speaking would be helpful.
- Foster and enhance a respectful union environment that supports employee personal and professional development and advancement opportunities. The Chief will be called upon to serve as a mentor and guide to a highly qualified cadre of professional police officers.
- Experience working with elected officials and City management in a team-oriented approach ensuring department operational concerns are shared with City management in a tactful, and timely manner advocating for the department when necessary to ensure a balanced approach to operating issues and concerns.
- Have an understanding of the demands and challenges facing law enforcement officials; consider ways to support the physical and mental challenges of policing in an ever-changing environment. Demonstrate a genuine passion for the police profession from an internal department standpoint and for service to the community.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in law enforcement or criminal justice with ten (10) years of progressively responsible law enforcement experience that includes five years command experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge skills and abilities. A master’s degree in public policy, public administration, business administration or a related field is a plus. Position requires Illinois Law Enforcement Board certification.
- Lead with a strong sense of self confidence; have a track record of fostering collaboration, receptive to new ideas and systems in an effort to foster increased department service delivery.
Salary is $150,000 +/- DOQ with excellent benefits. The City is open to and prefers a 401k pension benefit.
Residency in the City of Des Plaines is not required.
Interested candidates should apply online by September 18, 2020 with a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least five (5) professional references to:
Attention: Kathleen Rush, Vice President
630 Dundee Road, Suite 130
Northbrook, IL 60061
Click HERE to Apply!