City of Blue Island
The Civil Service Commission in the City of Blue Island, IL will conduct an examination for the purpose of providing an eligibility list of persons qualified to be appointed to the position of Firefighter/Paramedic.
- You must have passed your 21st birthday but not attained your 35th birthday by the date of examination unless you otherwise qualify as more specifically provided in Section 10-1-7 of the Illinois Municipal Code (65ILCS 5/10-1-7).
- You must be a citizen of the United States.
- You must possess a valid driver’s license in good standing.
- You must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, GED.
- You must have a current certification of EMT-Paramedic by the time of hire and a current Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter Certification from the Illinois State Fire Marshall Division of Personnel Standards and Education.
- You must have a current valid CPAT Certification, issued by the time of hire, for the applied position of Firefighter/Paramedic from a duly licensed training academy based on industry standards currently in use and approved by the Joint Labor Management Committee of the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
- Applicants must meet all other eligibility requirements as provided in the Illinois Compiled Statutes and the Rules and Regulations of the Blue Island Civil Service Commission.
The testing procedure includes:
- A mandatory orientation
- Written component
- Subjective component
- Psychological examination
- Polygraph examination
- Medical examination
- Drug screen
- Background examination
The mandatory orientation will take place:
Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 1:30 PM
The written component taking place at 2:00 PM on the same day at:
City of Blue Island East Annex
2446 W. Vermont Street
Blue Island, Illinois
The written examination component will precede all other examination components. You must attain a score on the written test at or above seventy (70%) percent in order to qualify to take the remaining examination components. All components of the testing process will be conducted on dates and times to be determined after a preliminary eligibility register has been posted for those applicants who have passed the written examination with a score at or above seventy (70%) percent.
Applications will be available online from September 30, 2020 at:
Applications must be returned with copies of all required documents to:
City of Blue Island Police Department
13031 S. Greenwood
by 4:00 pm on November 4, 2020
There will be a $35.00 administrative processing fee.
You must include with your application copies of your driver’s license, birth certificate, high school diploma or equivalent, your DD-214 if you served in the military. A current valid CPAT, current valid EMT basic or paramedic and current valid Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter Certification.
Applications submitted after 4:00 pm, November 4th or incomplete will not be accepted.
The City of Blue Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This notice is issued by order of the Blue Island Civil Service Commission.