Rockford University invites applications for a part-time Armed Public Safety Officer position with the RU Department of Public Safety.
The armed public safety officer position whose duties include the responsibility for the protection and wellbeing of the students, visitors, staff and facilities of Rockford University. The Officer will be responsible for the prevention of crimes, the preservation of peace the enforcement of the rules of the Board of Trustees and other duties as assigned. The Officer will work an average of 20 hours per week including rotating weekends and holidays. Shift is 4pm-9pm.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrol campus by motor vehicle, bicycle, other vehicles or on foot to discover, and deter the commission of crime, university rules and regulations; and to check the security of buildings, functioning of outdoor lighting and road conditions.
- Monitors and directs vehicular and pedestrian traffic as required.
- Responds to calls for a variety of services including investigation of alarms, animal control, assistance to motorists, building safety problems, domestic problems, thefts and other acts against persons or property.
- Observes, investigates and reports unusual conditions bearing on the safety and/ or security of the campus community.
- Observes campus activities and inspects University properties for unsafe conditions that could lead to injury.
- Takes necessary action to correct unsafe practices or conditions and reports all potential safety hazards.
- Recommends safety and security procedures for specific problem areas of the campus.
- Investigates, reports, and records traffic accidents by interviewing witnesses, measuring distances, sketching diagrams, taking photographs.
- Investigates harm, damage or threats of potential harm, or damage to persons or property by interviewing witnesses.
- Prepares results of investigations for referral.
- Refers appropriate "Student Code of Conduct" violators to the attention of the University's Dean of Students.
- Prepares reports for use by department, University or other agency.
- Testifies in Court or by deposition to present information accumulated at scenes and through investigations.
- Performs rescue functions at accidents, emergencies and disasters to include directing traffic for long periods of time, administering first responder level service; lifting, dragging, and carrying people away from dangerous situations; and securing buildings and evacuating occupants.
- Responds to fire and ambulance calls to direct traffic escort fire and ambulance vehicles, establish security perimeters and maintain order.
- Inspects and maintains public safety equipment by observing and cleaning to keep the equipment in reliable operating condition.
- Determines content for various public safety programs such as crime prevention, personal safety, campus community safety and provides delivery to the campus community.
- Treat all persons within the scope of authority in a civil, professional, and ethical manner while taking action to ensure the protection of their civil rights.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The ability to think and plan strategically, to exercise excellent judgment and decision-making in stressful situations, and to problem-solve in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with diverse University constituencies. Understanding, sensitivity, and commitment to meeting the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the student, employee, and community populations.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Working knowledge of legal issues related to campus police administration including, but not limited to, use of force, civil liability, FERPA, FMLA and the Jeanne Clery Campus Crime and Reporting Act.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Must be an active or retired sworn officer, in good standing with a law enforcement or corrections agency, with at least ten years of experience in a law enforcement capacity.
- High school diploma or equivalent; Associate's degree preferred.
- Be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Possess a valid driver's license and automobile insurance and insurable per RU policy.
- Successful completion of background investigation.
- Must complete and maintain ILETSB Firearms qualification/ certification.
- Must have and maintain the appropriate NIMS training compliance certification.
- Must maintain First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to have the ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace and run up stairs. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The incumbent must be able to stand, walk, stoop and kneel. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Visual acuity (with or without correction). While performing this job, employee may be required to physically subdue combative subjects, must maintain an appropriate level of physical ability. WORK ENVIRONMENT: Employee works in a professional higher education environment that is highly visible to members of the University community. Employee must be able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
Employee has access to sensitive information. A high level of trust and confidentiality is required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and list of three (3) professional references to:
Candidates who reflect the diversity of Rockford's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community are strongly encouraged.
About Rockford University:
Rockford University, formerly Rockford College, is a four-year, co-educational institution founded in 1847 offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in traditional liberal arts and professional fields. We offer approximately 80 majors, minors and concentrations, including the adult accelerated degree completion program for a B.S. in Management Studies. Through our Graduate Studies department, degrees are extended to include the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT). Rockford University is home to one of only 11 Phi Beta Kappa (PBK) chapters in Illinois, the most prestigious honor society in the United States. Named by The Princeton Review as a Best Midwestern College and one of only 81 colleges in the nation as a "College with a Conscience," we currently serve approximately 1,280 full-and part-time students. Our mission is to educate men and women to lead responsible lives by means of a curriculum grounded in liberal arts learning and complemented and extended by professional and practical experience.