You must be an active, full or part-time, sworn law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm off-duty OR a retired law enforcement officer with an IROCC card issued by the State of Illinois which qualifies you to carry a firearm under LEOSA HR-218, in order to apply for this position. Private security experience with an Illinois Firearm Control (Tan) Card is not qualifying for this position and will be disqualified immediately. No exceptions.
The Frances Xavier Warde School is a Catholic elementary school in downtown Chicago that provides an excellent academic, values-oriented education to students of all ethnic, religious, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds in a child-centered urban environment. As a keystone of its diverse community, The Frances Xavier Warde School provides need-based scholarships to thirty percent of its students. The Frances Xavier Warde School partners with its families, nurtures faith development for its Catholic students, and engages all its students to learn about and respect other faith traditions. The Frances Xavier Warde School uses a rigorous curriculum that enables students to grow, clarify their values, and develop decision-making skills and a sense of responsibility for themselves and the world they will inherit.
Under the general supervision of the Security Operations Manager, Lead Security Officer, or other designated school official, an incumbent of this class is primarily responsible for providing general security for all building occupants at their assigned campus and school property. Security is maintained by regular foot patrols of the assigned campus, and perimeter. This position is an armed position and requires current Illinois Peace Officer certification (must be legally permitted to carry a firearm off-duty), or retired Illinois Peace Officer status with valid IROCC (Illinois Retired Officer Concealed Carry) card. This position does not normally function in a supervisory capacity over other security personnel. Incumbents of this position are primarily charged with maintaining building security through proactive patrol, detection, and observation. Incumbents may be required to arrest or detain individuals. The armed security officer may do related work and assume additional responsibilities as determined by the Security Operations Manager, Lead Security Officer, or other designated school official.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Patrols assigned campus building and building perimeter on foot to prevent illegal trespass by unauthorized individuals
- May maintain a post at the main entrance of the school or other designated areas on campus
- Prevents unauthorized visitors from entering school buildings or loitering on school grounds
- Provides a security presence and maintains log of visitors to the building
- Informs supervisors or administrative staff of need to contact or involve the Chicago Police and/or Fire Departments
- Ascertains individual's business on school property and responds accordingly
- May escort visitors to/from areas of building
- Conducts security inspections of school facilities
- Assists with traffic control and the drop-off/pick-up of students at the beginning and end of each school day to ensure the safe flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic during arrival and dismissal
- Provides security for school and Archdiocese special events, as-needed
- May assist school administrators in handling emergency situations, disciplinary matters and/or investigations
- May escort students to and from designated on and off-campus locations; This may be on foot (walking) or by school bus
- May monitor security cameras, if applicable
- Maintains familiarity with and facilitates adherence to all aspects of the FXW Emergency Action Plan
- May, under specifically defined and limited circumstances (protection of life and against great bodily harm), use force, up to and including deadly force
- Must maintain proficiency with firearms in accordance with the officer's law enforcement agency policy, or in accordance with IROCC rules and regulations
- May prepare reports of incidents
- May use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments
- May assist the FXW Facilities Manager on an as-needed basis
- Assists the unarmed security officers as-needed
- Assists emergency first responders, when on campus
- May be required to perform other job-related duties as designated by the Security Operations Manager, Lead Security Officer, or designated school officials
- Adheres to all FXW and security-specific policies, rules, regulations and other directives
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Knowledge of security techniques
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques employed in establishing and maintaining building security
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, parents, co-workers and the general public
- Ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position
- Sound judgment
- Physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position
- Must be able to fulfill walking requirements of the position, including but not limited to, foot-patrol of the campus (including stairs and stairwells) and surrounding area, walking escorts for field trips, and walking escorts to area parks for recess and athletics
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma.
- Satisfactory completion of a certified state or federal law enforcement academy which grants certified peace officer or retired peace officer (IROCC eligible) status, at time of appointment.
- May be required to attend additional training classes as designated by the Security Operations Manager and/or FXW administrative staff.
SPECIAL ARCHDIOCESE OF CHICAGO REQUIREMENT:
- All security staff must complete VIRTUS (Protecting God's Children) Training and State of Illinois Mandatory Reporter Training.
- Additionally, employment is dependent upon successful completion of a fingerprint-based criminal history background check.