The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the City of Geneva is now accepting applications for the position of Entry Level Police Officer.
Testing is being conducted for an immediate need to hire and to establish an Eligibility List for anticipated hiring need.
The Geneva Police Department is dedicated to preventing and fighting crime through the utilization of the latest law enforcement practices and technology. Members of the department work in collaboration with their community, City entities, and other public service protection organizations to preserve the well-being of Geneva residents and visitors.
Located roughly 35 miles from Chicago, Geneva is a popular tourist destination with its scenic location along the Fox River and numerous shops and restaurants. There is an extensive bike trail system in Geneva including portions of the Fox River Trail and the Illinois Prairie Path. With charming neighborhoods, historic buildings, and shaded parks on the banks of the scenic Fox River the, City of Geneva offers a mixture of cultural events, great restaurants, wonderful schools, convenient shopping, and fun nightlife options.
Applications are available at:
Applications will be online for purchase until 12/2/20 – 2:00 PM
The deadline for returning completed applications is:
Wednesday, December 2, 2020 by 4:00 PM
All applications must be returned to the office of:
C.O.P.S. and F.I.R.E. Personnel Testing Service
ATTN: Geneva PD
200 W. Higgins Road, Suite 201
Schaumburg, IL 60195
You must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Driver’s License at the time of application with the ability to obtain an Illinois Driver’s License upon time of hire.
- Age Requirement: Applicants must have attained their 21st birthday by the last date for filing applications (12/2/20). Applicants must be under the age of 35 years on 12/2/2020, AND at such time as the Final Eligibility List is posted unless exempt by State Statute 65 IL 5/10 – 2. 1-6 which provides, in part, that the age limitation does not apply to any person previously employed as a certified full-time police officer in a regularly constituted police department for a municipality in the United States.
- Education: Must have proof of High School Diploma, GED Certificate or High School Proficiency Statement AND MUST have an Associates Degree from an accredited college/university OR are certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a Full-Time Law Enforcement Officer. The Associated Degree requirement may be waived for any applicant that has served 24 months of honorable active duty in the United States Armed Forces and has not been dishonorably discharged or under circumstances other than honorable or if the applicant has served 180 days of active duty in the United States Armed Forces in combat duty recognized by the Department of Defense and has not been dishonorably discharged or under circumstances other than honorable.
- Residence: If hired and within one year of employment, must reside within a 25-mile radius of the corporate limits of the City of Geneva.
- Language: Must be able to comprehend the English language, both spoken and written.
- Character: Must have no felony convictions and be of good moral character as described in State Statute 65 IL 5/10-2.1-6.
- Eyesight and Hearing: Both shall be consistent with a level necessary to perform the duties of the position.
- POWER Card: Must possess a valid POWER Card issued between the dates of 12/2/19 and 12/2/20 issued by NIPSTA www.nipsta.com, Joliet Community College www.jjc.edu/aboutjjc/facilities/power-testing or Triton College www.triton.edu/power. MUST provide a copy of POWER Card in their returned support packet material and bring POWER Card on the day of testing.
- Testing: Must be able to participate and successfully complete all phases of the testing including polygraph test, medical examination, psychological assessment, drug screening and an intensive background investigation.
All individuals meeting eligibility requirements are encouraged to continue with the application process.
Additional information will be provided in the packet which can be downloaded at:
There is a $35.00 non-refundable application fee. Applications are NOT available at the Geneva Police Department or City Hall.
Applicants must attend the mandatory orientation and test date:
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination:
Saturday, December 19, 2020
Registration starts at 7:30 AM
Orientation – 8:00 AM
Written Examination immediately following the Orientation
Geneva High School
416 McKinley Avenue
Geneva, IL 60134
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of Geneva, which is an Equal Opportunity Employer.