The Village of Vernon Hills is a vibrant, progressive, team-oriented and financially sound community that invests in the development and growth of its most important asset—its employees. We are seeking qualified individuals for a Telecommunicator position available in the Communications Division of our Police Department.
The Vernon Hills Police Department's Communications Center provides both police and fire dispatch services. Police dispatch services are coordinated by the Vernon Hills Police Department, which provide services for the Villages of Libertyville and Vernon Hills, as well as the monitoring, receipt and transmission of emergency and non-emergency police messages. In addition, the position involves the monitoring and operating of electronic building security systems; providing general information to the public and the performance of incidental clerical duties. This position involves a high level of communication during emergency and non- emergency situations, which require the ability to communicate effectively and to employ selective attention in an environment with a variety of distractions. In addition, the individual must possess the ability to perform job duties in a confidential manner.
- High school diploma, or equivalent;
- Minimum of one to three years' experience in public safety dispatch;
- Currently serving as a public safety dispatcher, preferred;
- Accurate typing ability; minimum of 30 words per minute
- Possess the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and conduct themselves appropriately under stressful situations;
- Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to work shift work including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays
- Passage of a background and criminal history investigation, reference check, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen;
- Successful completion of a twelve-month probationary period.
Job Task Examples:
- Monitor the radio frequencies for the Vernon Hills Police Department, Countryside Fire Department, County F-1, ISPERN, and IFERN.
- Answer the telephone lines for emergency and non-emergency calls including 9-1-1.
- Monitor the Central Monitoring System burglar alarms.
- Monitor LEADS for incoming messages and responses.
- Create LEADS entries and access information on LEADS.
- Monitor the weather radar to observe approaching severe weather.
- Operate the Security System for all security doors and cameras.
- Forward information to the proper authority and/or dispatch police, fire and other emergency personnel; maintain radio contact with emergency personnel throughout the duration of an incident.
- Create CAD incidents on calls for service including pertinent information; officers assigned, type of incident, location, date, time, and other information describing the type of action taken.
- Provide the public with non-emergency information concerning court, road conditions, directions, after hour public works complaints, school closings and other cancellations or information.
- Monitor activity on close-circuit cameras throughout the department.
- Serves as the department point of contact for the public walk-in window when Records personnel are off-duty; answers questions about Police and Village services or refer to proper authority; receive payments for parking tickets, bond and admin fees when records personnel are off-duty.
- Be able to access information from the department computer systems.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned by the Communications Director, Deputy Communications Supervisor, Deputy Chief or the Chief of Police.
- Monitor critical reach for incoming bulletins, distribute as needed.
Employment applications are available at:
On the Village website at:
Please include a cover letter and resume.
Submit application materials to:
290 Evergreen Drive
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
Please include the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject of the email.
Employment applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Resumes not accompanied by the completed Village of Vernon Hills employment application will not be considered for employment.
Applicants with disabilities, who will need accommodations in order to complete any portion(s) of the application, should contact the Human Resources Department.