DUPAGE COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT COMMISSION
Job Opportunity Posted from: 12/17/2020
IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Merit Commission is currently accepting applications for lateral transfers to the position of Deputy Sheriff in the Corrections Officer Bureau of the Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS:
An employee in this class, under general supervision:
- Performs work of moderate difficulty in the enforcement of law, maintenance of order, and prevention of crime;
- Supervises inmates in the County Jail;
- Provides custody and care of inmates as is necessary in accordance with both statute and case law;
- Moves prisoners individually or in large numbers;
- Searches for contraband;
- Transports prisoners;
- Handles other duties as assigned.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Some knowledge of principles, methods, practices and techniques of corrections;
- Some knowledge of the purpose of law enforcement and the criminal justice system;
- Some knowledge of the purpose of a detention program.
YOU MUST BE CURRENTLY WORKING AS A FULL-TIME CERTIFIED CORRECTIONAL OR PEACE OFFICER AND:
- Be currently employed as a Deputy Sheriff or Police and/or Peace Officer in the State of Illinois, and have, immediately preceding the date of application, two years of full-time continuous experience with the same law enforcement agency where currently employed.
- Be in good standing with your department as of the date of application as well as the date of certification by the Commission.
- Have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Corrections Academy Training, have attended and successfully completed training in an Illinois Law Enforcement Academy and be currently certified by the State of Illinois as a Corrections Deputy and/or Corrections Officer.
- Successfully pass a C.A.T. test or present a valid P.O.W.E.R. card.
- Be acceptable to the Commission following an investigation and pass a background, reputation and character examination conducted by the Sheriff’s Office, or an agency or company licensed to conduct background investigations, as authorized by the Sheriff’s Office.
- Pass an oral interview by the Commission
- Complete the Merit Commission’s regular application.
Additionally, all applicants who are appointed from the candidate list for lateral transfer to Deputy Sheriff must successfully complete a one (1) year probationary period as a Deputy Sheriff during which time they are subject to discharge and termination by the Sheriff at will.
Only mail-in applications will be accepted. There is no fee to apply.
To request an application, please contact the Merit Commission at:
In addition, you will be required to provide a copy of your birth certificate or naturalization paperwork, a copy of your college transcripts certifying completion of 60 credit hours, OR high school diploma or GED, and a copy of your law enforcement certificate.
If you have any questions, please email the Merit Commission:
The Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer